PDA

View Full Version : Can't Lower Car w/ G-Bar System

69-er
09-04-2011, 08:26 PM
I just finished mocking up the ChassisWorks 4-Bar system for a 69 Camaro. I have discovered that the VariShocks included with the kit, VAS 11122-515, will not allow me to lower the car to the height I desire. I was under the assumption that this kit would allow me to lower the car in a typical Pro-Touring stance. At the moment, I have about 1 1/2" of travel before I bottom out the coil-overs.

I noticed that there is another shock, VAS 11111-425, that has a shorter compressed length. I would lose almost an inch of compressed length allowing me to lower the car with less of a chance of bottoming out. Do you think this would work in my configuration? The car will be strictly street driven.

I also thought about lowering the lower shock mounts and maybe even raising the upper shock mounts to gain additional travel. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!

exwestracer
09-05-2011, 05:51 AM
Most 4 link kits have adjustable lower shock mounts for just that reason. Chassisworks should be able to give you a ride height number that the setup was designed to hit. Keep in mind that this is also affected by the tire height you are running at the rear. I would beware using shorter shocks if you have the extra tire/axle clearance.

exwestracer
09-05-2011, 05:55 AM
Just looked at the pic of the g bar setup on Chassisworks website. The lower mounts are adjustable on the one shown. Are you already all the way down on the mounting holes???

dhutton
09-05-2011, 06:01 AM
As someone who had a G-Bar on a street driven car I do not think you would want to reduce shock travel. I found I needed all that it had with the original shocks. As noted above make sure you are using the lower mount.

ProdigyCustoms
09-05-2011, 06:33 AM
Are you at full weight yet? Using lower hole? What spring rate did you get?

How low are you looking to go?

Here is a 69 at Ride height.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif