PDA

View Full Version : Coil-over conversion sleeves

Bjkadron
09-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Hello all,

I am looking for some threaded sleeves to convert my rear shocks to coil-overs to finish up my three-link. The only problem is, I don't have a really common brand of shocks so I have no standard options.

The OD of the shock is 1.64" so I need something about that size (preferably + or - .02 or so) Too big wont work, but too small I can bore to the proper size. Does anyone know of a 5-7" adjuster with this size ID? I cant seem to find specs on most of them.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

speedy79
09-05-2011, 06:19 AM
This should get you started. I know it take small body springs, but a spacer could be made or maybe with deeper digging you can find a kit that takes the standard springs. But if they have the rate you want, who cares what size the spring is.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Bilstein-Small-Body-Steel-Coilover-Kit,6871.html

speedy79
09-06-2011, 06:06 AM
I forgot to mention this kit is made to fit a 1 5/8" body shock.

Bjkadron
09-06-2011, 03:14 PM
I forgot to mention this kit is made to fit a 1 5/8" body shock.

I saw that... I'll probably go Aluminum though if I have to machine it. but apparently all Small body shocks are about that.

Bryce
09-07-2011, 04:46 AM
Benjamin,

Just spin one out on the lathe. It wouldn't be that hard. If you want to go with a standard 2.5" spring that will actualy help in machining. This will allow you to keep your wall thickness up and less vibrations while cutting it on the lathe.

Bjkadron
09-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Benjamin,

Just spin one out on the lathe. It wouldn't be that hard. If you want to go with a standard 2.5" spring that will actualy help in machining. This will allow you to keep your wall thickness up and less vibrations while cutting it on the lathe.

Have you ever cut threads on a old lathe? Not the best thing in the world. I actually found some for pro-shocks that should fit, and they are about as cheap as I could make them for. Also, I'd like to use the smaller spring, because it is getting to be a busy/crowded place under there...

Bryce
09-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Actually yes, HAHA.

I took a 2" square piece of aluminum 3 feet long. And turned it down to a 1.5" round solid rod then put 1.25" threads on one end then made a female threaded cap for this contraption. Manual feeding tool holder. I think I spent the entire day on that one part.

Bjkadron
09-08-2011, 06:59 AM
Then you understand the appeal of getting something for $30 and making on pass with a boring bar. haha!

Then to realize that it probably won't stay exactly like this for very long, I don't want to invest a lot of time into it. I have plenty of other places to spend more time.

Bryce
09-08-2011, 07:03 AM
Then you understand the appeal of getting something for $30 and making on pass with a boring bar. haha!

Then to realize that it probably won't stay exactly like this for very long, I don't want to invest a lot of time into it. I have plenty of other places to spend more time.

HAHA, I love to buy and modify parts. My time is worth something. HAHA. I totally understand.