PDA

View Full Version : TKO 500 for 69 Camaro

69FBDY
06-27-2005, 05:52 PM
I have looked around and decided that I am going to go with a TKO 500 in my 69 Camaro. I have looked at Keisler (www.keislerauto.com (http://www.keislerauto.com/)) and they say that it will fit in the stock shifter hole with no problems. On the other hand, i have looked on www.classicchevy5speed.com (http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/) and they say that you need to have the "McLeod Trick Stix high performance offset shifter" to have a no cut installation (http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/Deluxe_Transmission_Kit_67_74_Camaro.htm). Can anyone who has installed a TKO500 in a stock shifter hole or know someone who has help me out here??? I really dont want to spend the extra $300 and find out I dont need it.

69FBDY
06-27-2005, 05:56 PM
By the way..... in my 69 I DO NOT have a console if that makes any difference

morrisclassic
06-27-2005, 06:25 PM
I put a TKO 600 in my 69 Camaro. You will need to cut the floor out a little for the shifter housing to come through thr floor. You can buy shifter handles that have an offset in them. I would contact Charlie at Standard Transmissions in Texas. He is a service center for Tremec. His number is
800-783-8726. The cubic inch motor you are running will determine if you need a TKO 500 or a TKO 600. He was offering a year warranty. Good man
to do business with. I modified the stock crossmember with little effort.

Billy

68BNUT
06-27-2005, 09:22 PM
Well the link you posted from classic is the link to the deluxe kit which would make me assume you dont have a standard in your car now?? If thats the thinking then your gonna have to cut a hole in your floor anyways? There was a post on here about keisler and what they said about there kits, you may want to find it, I think lots of people on here have gotten the classicchevy kits and the ATS kits and really seem to like them not to many people are praising the keisler kits. Just something to think about.

GMJim
06-28-2005, 08:48 AM
69FBDY
You don't need to spend the extra money on a modified transmission or special shifter to fit your car. If your car is presently an automatic you WILL have to cut a hole in the floor for the shifter regardless of whos transmission you buy. If your car is a standard transmission no console car, you can easily get by with using the stock Tremec shifter that comes with the transmission. A small amount of trimming (1/2" to 1") is required on the top right and right edge of the floor pan shifter hole and that's it. If you are using a console in either car the stock Tremec shifter can be used and a spacer or an offset shifter stick will position the shifter where you want it. A small amount of trimming of the bottom right of the black plastic bezel or tunnel that attaches to the shifter plate and surrounds the shifter may be necessary as well. The Trick stix shifter for a Camaro at Classicchevy5speed.com is designed as a no cut solution for people who don't want to cut the floor of the car at all or are very fussy about putting the shifter EXACTLY where the stock one was and it does the job nicely. I have a 69 Z/RS with a TKO 600 .64 in it and 3.73 rear end. I used the Trick Stix shifter because of the reasons mentioned above and it works great. If you need any help with your decision or any questions you may have just call. What ever you buy, just be informed before you spend your money.

69FBDY
06-28-2005, 11:30 AM
I DO currently have a Muncie M21 in the car right now. Would i still have to cut?

morrisclassic
06-28-2005, 02:59 PM
If you order the transmission with the shifter in the stock location you will
need to cut a small amount for the shifter housing to come through the floor pan.
Billy

GMJim
06-28-2005, 03:55 PM
69FBDY
Check out our web site. There is a lot of information there for you. If you need any help just give us a call. Using the stock Tremec shifter that comes with a TKO will require minor trimming of the floor as mirrisclassic says. If you don't want to cut the floor then a Trick Stix shifter will fit without cutting.