PDA

View Full Version : need help w/ new front susp. parts

drc270
08-30-2011, 06:00 PM
I have realized not to cut corners w/ budget pieces. With that said, I plan to remove some of
my front susp. pieces and replace with quality parts.
Last year I started a frame off and installed budget control arms(which I have already replaced ball joints), hellwig 1 1/8" sway bar, coil springs, steering box and all new front end pieces.
My problem is the car drives relatively well but has some clck/clack noises that we cannot identify.
Frustration has set in in with this newly completed beautiful car.
After several times completely removing and inspecting all components I have decided to replace
control arms,shocks,springs and possibly sway bar.

With too many options available I would really appreciate some input. I need the best bang for the buck.
Thanks
Dan

shep
08-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Make and model of car would be helpful and also plans for the car. The hellwig bar is a good piece only reason to change it is if it is not the correct size for what you are trying to accomplish.

drc270
08-31-2011, 04:31 AM
Thanks Shep,
69 camaro, just want a good driving/handling car

NightDiver
08-31-2011, 10:58 AM
well it seems like the best quality choice that would cover pretty much everything you want to replace without forcing you to buy additional parts to get them to work would be Hotchkis TVS and tubular control arms...

Just out of curiosity, since a similar situation happened to me, have you looked at the exhaust for any abnormally shiney or dented spots? Sometimes normal body flex or shock bounce can cause exhaust to bump other parts or rub somewhere that looks like there's plenty of clearance.

darren@ridetech
08-31-2011, 11:08 AM
We offer tubular upper and lower arms for that car as well. These can be used w/ either our CoilOvers or Shockwaves. Our 3 piece design sway bar along w/ the new Truturn system will allow up to a 10" wheel and will greating improve the suspension geometry. The stock suspension geometry is pretty bad, the arms will help you set more postive caster and the tall spindles will keep the tires flat to the pavement. The new steering arm setup will increase tire clearance virtually eliminates the bumpsteer.

Link to 1st gen part on our site:
http://www.ridetech.com/store/musclecar/?subcats=Y&features_hash=V174

drc270
09-01-2011, 04:59 AM
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I believe my dreaded noise is the bushings/sleeves n these POS LCAs
I am not impressed with the ride quality of my hotchkis rear leafs/maybe shocks? I currently have budget gas shocks all the way around.
Thanks for the link Darren, nice products, but I cant afford all of your suggestions at this time.

NightDiver
09-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Yeah, I learned the hard way... if you trade out stock for "upgrades" you dont want to base your selection on price alone. Its amazing how much better something works that costs just a little bit more. Personally, if you already have Hotchkis leafs in the rear, I would suggest matching them with their rear shocks as well... You may be pleasantly surprised....

Hotchkis
09-01-2011, 04:28 PM
DRC270 - Thanks for purchasing Hotchkis (http://www.hotchkis.net) rear leaf springs. You stated that you currently have some budget gas-charged shocks. What is it about about the ride that you would like to be better?

The clicking in the front suspension sounds like you might be right about the lower control arm bushings. Any play in them will cause clicking and clunking upon take off and braking. Especially when transitioning from reverse to forward movement.

What front springs and upper control arms are you running?

Many people misdiagnose cracking noises that come from dry ball joints, but you say that you already replaced the upper ball joints. If you had to replace the upper ball joints already, there's no telling how the lower ball joints or the control arm shafts and lower control arm bushings are doing.

We don't cut corners on our suspension parts, not even on ball joints. We can't say the same for budget suspension components we've seen come from unknown sellers online. We've had many customers come to us with their budget online parts with worn out components and failing welds. As well as having high standards for performance, we're very strict about our quality control and are very serious about safety.

We have quality high performance control arms, front coil springs, and HPS 1000 shocks for your '69 Camaro when you're ready to upgrade to some great performing suspension that you will allow you to feel confident and safe while driving on the road.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gifhttps://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif