PDA

View Full Version : Sway Bar Help please

GrabberGT
08-30-2011, 10:33 AM
I need to have a custom front sway bar bent for my car and would prefer to have it done only once. Due to suspension configuration, a modular sway bar is not an option. Off the shelf bars will not fit due to the modifications I have made.

So... what size should I get? 1", 1-1/8", 1-1/4" ? I'll be putting lots of road miles on this as it may do Daily driver duties during the nicer times of the year. Family drives around the country side and travel to and from events. But I want it to also be a solid performer at Autocross and Road Course functions. The wife thinks it would be really cool to have a roll cage in the car so I dont think comfort has to be too much a factor in the ride quality.

I know there is a lot more to consider when selecting a bar but this is all I've got to work with:

Ford Maverick
Weight : 3350 51/49 balance

Front:
Total Control Products Coilover conversion 450 lb springs.

Rear:
Total Cost Involved Torque Arm with 250 lb springs and 3/4 sway bar.

TheBandit
08-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Can you detail the mods you've done that prevent an off-the-shelf bar from fitting? If there is an OTS bar that TCI recommends with their combination, do you know the dimensions? I would calculate the theoretical roll stiffness added by their recommended bar and try to match that with whatever design you come up with, assuming you want to use their recommended roll stiffness.

Nessumsar
08-30-2011, 12:06 PM
It would also be helpfull to know how long of arms you will be using on the bar, along with what size/type tire you are running.

Obviously there are many other variables, but those with what you have provided should get you close.

GrabberGT
08-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Can you detail the mods you've done that prevent an off-the-shelf bar from fitting? If there is an OTS bar that TCI recommends with their combination, do you know the dimensions? I would calculate the theoretical roll stiffness added by their recommended bar and try to match that with whatever design you come up with, assuming you want to use their recommended roll stiffness.

Its the Oil Pan and Strut Rods that are causing the problem. The Strut Rods from the TCP kit are larger in diameter and rub against my 7/8" sway bar. I had to adjust the sway bar back towards the oil pan to prevent that. Now my Oil Pan drain plug, which is on the front corner of the oil pan is in the way of the sway bar. I plan to have a bar built that stretches the front dip that goes around the oil pan forward by 2". 1" will allow for oil pan clearance and the other inch will let me relocate the mounting pads on the frame back an inch to clear the strut rods. I'll then have to shorten the arms an inch to maintain my lower control arm and link location.

TCI offers a 1" and 1-1/8" bar for their front ends. Unfortunately I'll have to call back and talk to Sal tomorrow to find out the spring rates of those.

It would also be helpfull to know how long of arms you will be using on the bar, along with what size/type tire you are running.

Obviously there are many other variables, but those with what you have provided should get you close.

At this point I do not know how long the arms are going to be. As mentioned above, they will be shorter than stock. Tires are not finalized yet. I'll stay somewhere around a 200tw with a width somewhere between a 245 and 275 on 18"s. Fronts will be no less than 85% that of the rear. 285-325.

Henesian
08-30-2011, 03:06 PM
1-1/4" solid for the front.

Nessumsar
08-30-2011, 03:51 PM
If the arms are going to be shorter than stock, you will need a bar of a smaller diameter to have the same torsional stiffness. Whether or not that is what you need, I don't know.

I would think you could figure out what percentage shorter the arms need to be, then apply that to the bar diameter of what TCI recommends?

GrabberGT
08-31-2011, 12:48 PM
Talked with Sal at TCI. He suggested a 900 lb bar to mate with the 225lb bar that came with their rear kit. Hopefully ADDCO can take my dimensions for the bar and get me the correct diameter bar to get me close to that.

JRouche
09-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Talked with Sal at TCI. He suggested a 900 lb bar to mate with the 225lb bar that came with their rear kit. Hopefully ADDCO can take my dimensions for the bar and get me the correct diameter bar to get me close to that.

Wow! Really. 900lbs? Dont know how he is spec'ing it but 900 lbs is MASSIVE for any bar. Never heard of a bar that stiff,

That stiff of a bar will make it like a solid axle suspension VS an independant suspension. JR

GrabberGT
09-06-2011, 05:04 AM
Wow! Really. 900lbs? Dont know how he is spec'ing it but 900 lbs is MASSIVE for any bar. Never heard of a bar that stiff,

That stiff of a bar will make it like a solid axle suspension VS an independant suspension. JR

I spoke with Addco about this who said that its somewhere between a 1-1/8 and 1-1/4 bar depending on the overall length of it. I'll have to use some brake line or something to model the shape I need them to bend and they'll take that and calculate what size I need in order to get close to the 900 lb request.