PDA

View Full Version : Rookie mistake on steering gear install, striped the threads

70Uglybird
08-29-2011, 06:23 AM
I haven't messed with a steering gear or steering components in 15 years. I got a reman 2.5 turn box from Napa and the steering rebuild kit from Pro touring.

Installed the steering gear. I installed the centerlink, tie rods, everything pretty loose. Got the pitman arm on the steering gear and tightend everything else. Then as the online post say took an impact to the pitman arm bolt....not a good thing. I'm pretty sure I should have done that first!! Now I have some threads stripped and may have ruined a new gear box and possibly a pitman arm. There is plenty of meat up top so it I can get past the stripped threads I might be OK.

- Anyone know the size of those threads and can you get die's that big???

- Is the camaro pitman arm the same as the firebird? So if I need one I can buy the one at Protouring?

- If I do need a new steering box I may just buy the one that I want. I see unisteer has a 600 box kit at a great deal, Pro touring has the 670 is there really a differenct worth 150 bucks in the 2? OR if its a 600 series box it should be good. I'm finding very little info. I can get this 416 shipped.

http://www.unisteer.com/seach_by_vehicle/pontiac_steering/gm_600_power_steering_box_conversion_kit_with_3/4_x_30_rag.html

- Borgeson has this one too but I'm not feeling a reman unless its from Napa where I can go get a new one if it fails (I don't think the warranty applies to be be a dumb ass and stripping the threads though!) This one is about 350 shipped at summit.

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1384

Out of those 3 the 670 box from protouring, unister 600 or Borgeson 700 reman is there big advantages disadvantages? I'm leaning to the Unisteer for 416 its the box, rag joint and metric adapters for the PS lines.

I AM SO CLOSE!!!! I had to go get the hood installed and drove it (the pitman arm is not going anywhere) it drove sooo much better than it did before. Can't wait to get it right and have the final alignment done!!

Thanks!