PDA

View Full Version : Couple issues I found while pulling the car apart, ideas?

protour_chevelle
08-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Long time no see gang! I've been busy working away from home and ragging on my car when I am on days off. However I finally hurt the lq4 after 4 years of untouched junkyard abuse making over 600rwhp. So out came the engine today and here are 2 things I noticed... The welds on the upper shock mount in the front tore from the frame, Are there any kits out there to pretty this area up and strengthen it, or any insite as to a cure?
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/08/uppershockmount-1.jpg

2nd issue is my SPC uppers, they are bent, both sides, so the weld failing is out of the question casuing the damage. I will be contacting SPC and see what they think? Not putting anyone at blame, maybe a heads up to check them out?
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/08/bentupperarm-1.jpg

thanks for any help

Kenova
08-29-2011, 06:41 AM
I'm no welder, so take it for what it's worth, but that weld didn't have any penetration.
Clean up both sides of the weld, pull the shock mount down to where it should be and have an experienced welder stick it back together.
I notice in your sig that you have coilovers. Are the springs seated on the shock absorber, or are they seated in the car's original spring pocket? The shock mounts really aren't designed to carry the full weight of the front end.

Ken

protour_chevelle
08-29-2011, 08:53 AM
I agree with the no penetration part, but even if I do reweld it, I'm wondering if I should be adding support to it? The coilovers are VariShock coilovers so they are installed as 1 unit. It is their "bolt in" kit.

protour_chevelle
08-30-2011, 09:33 AM
Talked with SPC today and we are in the midst of getting this issue sorted out. Sounds like they release a revision with a offset bushing, so I would suggest whoever has these on their car, take a look and make sure everything is happy.

exwestracer
08-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Matt,
Are those a true coil over, or do they still use the stock upper spring bucket? If they are a true coil over that is likely the root cause of the weld failure, as that tower was never designed to carry the weight of the front end, only damping force from fairly weak stock shocks...

As for the cross shaft, I don't see how an offset bushing would help/cure the problem... Maybe I'm missing something but that looks like it took a shot from the tire at some point... (Just noticed you said BOTH sides are bent...braking force is concentrated there, but that's about all that would bend those steel shafts.... Were you loosening the pinch bolts when you adjusted camber/caster?)

darren@ridetech
08-31-2011, 11:27 AM
We've done ton's of Shockwave & CoilOver installations on those cars using the upper shock mounts and this is the first failure that I've seen. I really think that this failure leads to a crappy factory weld. Clean it up, reweld and continue beating on it... :)

protour_chevelle
08-31-2011, 01:00 PM
We've done ton's of Shockwave & CoilOver installations on those cars using the upper shock mounts and this is the first failure that I've seen. I really think that this failure leads to a crappy factory weld. Clean it up, reweld and continue beating on it... :)

Thanks darren, that is what I did do, I cleaned up the factory weld, pulled it back into place and tig welded it up. It was truely a ****ty weld from the factory.

I do agree with what other people are saying how the factory shock mount was never really designed to take the full load of the spring/shock together on one point.

SPC insists that I hit a curb or a wall with my car. They swear up and down that is the only way to have bent it. The car is a daily driver that has never even seen a road course. Never been crashed, nothing! Both sides are bent identical. I will be calling them again shortly. Money is not the issue with me... Its that they will not drop the thought of me hitting a wall/curb and asking for new parts.

Bryce
09-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Matt what is the distance between mounting points on the subframe?
What is the width of the control arm?
What is the cross section of the cross shaft at the point of bending?
Do you know the material of the cross shaft?

I will calculate the loads required to cause permanent deflection.

protour_chevelle
09-01-2011, 08:33 AM
6.5" center to center of both mounting bolts on cross shaft

Width from center of cross shaft to center of ball joint is 9"

Length of cross shaft(running lengthwise of car) is 13"

Cross section at bending point is 5/8"

Its a hardened steel for sure, but I cant find the exact numbers as to what material it is.

Thanks for the time

protour_chevelle
09-18-2011, 07:41 PM
another update, SPC has sent me a replacement set of their arms with the new updated cross shaft.

tom_a
09-18-2011, 08:02 PM
Matt,

Did SPC state what era this change was made? I have the same control arms with coil over converison. Also it sounds like you have the weld cracking sorted out but this below link is something that Global West is doing https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?69044-1971-Chevelle-Wagon-project-quot-BootLegger-quot&p=814467#post814467

protour_chevelle
11-15-2011, 04:16 PM
I was looking around for a kit like that, however never found one at the time so I ran with the varishock. TRZ motorsports also offer a weld in cup that allows guys to run an Afco coilover. single adjustable or double, VERY affordable. Penske is some pricey stuff for the average guy, hell for above average too! I'm confident that my welds will hold much better then factory, however in the long run I may try the QA1 style beehive springs to see what more stored energy feels like.

TheBandit
11-18-2011, 01:25 PM
That cross shaft bend is scary! Is it steel?