PDA

View Full Version : RideTech Triple Adjustable Shocks

tm327
08-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Hi Everyone, My name is Tom McBride most of you don't know me some of you do. If you follow the Pro Touring events you all probably know Yancy Johns and that he owns the Fastlane Fairlane. Well I am the person who done the suspension and brake upgrades on the car as well as drive it at most of the events. ( Sometimes I let Yancy drive just so he thinks he still has a car. lol ). We was coming back from the Sandhills Open Road Challenge in Nebraska where we finished 3rd in our class and the car broke a shock after hitting a pothole in St Louis. I gave Yancy a call when I got the car to my shop and we decide to give Bret a call at Ridetech to see if he could fix the shock for us. ( The shocks were not RideTech shocks they were double adjustable Vari Shocks ). I knew Bret and his guy's could work on them because of a previous problem I had with the Vari Shocks that RideTech fixed. Talking with Bret he suggested that we upgrade and update our current setup with a complete set of his Triple Adjustable Shocks. After another call to Yancy ( can't spend his money without his ok ) he agreed to the switch, so I put the order in for the set. When I received them and opened the box first thing I noticed was they were fully roller at the eye mount location, that was like a bonus cause I did not know they were and the Vari Shocks only had poly bushings. Everything was wrapped and packaged nicely. The install was a simple bolt on deal they fit perfectly and came complete with everything needed to put them on. Now the main reason for the post. After the install I took the car for a drive and the difference is amazing. I was concerned that with the new shock being gas charged that the car might be to stiff but instead bumps that were harsh or jarring before, even with the Vari Shocks set soft, these shocks soaked them up like they wasn't even there. The car feels more stable around corners, especially in normal street driving with a lot of pavement irregularities. I have not had it on the track yet, that should change this coming weekend, but if the improvements I feel on the street transfer to the track it should be quicker and easier to drive. I know I will have some adjusting and tuning to do but that's part of the fun. So if you have been on the fence about changing your Old Tech shocks to New I can tell you as far as the RideTech Triple Adjustable are concerned fall off that fence into the 21st century of Shock Technology and go for it, you won't be disappointed. I went into this expecting "just another shock" kinda attitude, what I got was a jaw dropping, knocked out cold difference.

Thanks,
Tom McBride RatPack Member
HC Automotive Owner

Ron.in.SoCal
08-28-2011, 11:55 AM
That's great feedback Tom. Please post your impressions once you get them on the track?

Bad94
08-28-2011, 01:26 PM
I just changed to single adjustable coils and i had to do a few mods to the control arms and upper mount, no big deal i had/have like i one off set up.

Right out of the box, the shocks look killer. I cant wait intill next weekend, im ready to test them out.

YancyJohns
08-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Tom, Thanks for the update on the Fairlane!! I always try to justify the means, but like the Bear 6s brake swap was truly a huge impovement, I'm sure RideTech's new Triple adjustables are worth every dime! One thing I have learned in the Pro-Touring aftermarket parts world, You Get What You Pay For!! With all the RideTech products being First Class, plus some of the Best customer service in the business.
Thanks again, Tom for all the hard work you have put into the Fairlane(plus the new mini tubs you and Andy did), it's amazing to see a big Boat go around the track as well as it does. I can't wait for RTTH, you may never see the Fairlane again Tom, well maybe visitation rights.....hehe Here a pick of of the new BFG 335 on rear and 275 up front when we were in Nebraska at MPH.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/08/6b3e2725-1.jpg

tazzz25906112
08-28-2011, 04:23 PM
I have the doubles on a couple of my cars and a set of triples on another and I totally agree with Tom and Yancy.... Things are done right at Ride Tech from begin to end and they are first class to deal with in every way.....
BTW Yancy great shot you guys sure had that Fairlane flying on this last trip....

Motorcitydak
08-28-2011, 04:58 PM
I have done some reading on these shocks. It says that they have built in bumpstops for both compression and extension. Are these designed to be the only bumpstop in your suspension setup or more like a last measure of protection where a primary bumpstop is needed?

David Pozzi
08-28-2011, 11:07 PM
You would bend the shaft if you bottomed any shock very hard at all, even with an internal bump stop. Once the shaft is bent it will kill the seal.
David

Bow Tie 67
08-29-2011, 01:16 AM
I changed over to Ridetechs single adjustable and speak from experience. The car handles better than ever on both the street and track. With close to 9k miles on the car prior to the upgrade I felt the difference immediately.

My previous shocks were the same Yancy had issues with. Night and Day difference!!

speedy79
08-29-2011, 06:04 AM
We put the RideTech single adjustable coilovers on the front of my dads 64 Nova w/stock front end otherwise. It was a night and day difference. The car still has a manual steering box but you would never know it running down the road now. It runs straight, smooth and steers easy. I know he is thinking about their rear suspension upgrade next.

bret
08-29-2011, 01:23 PM
I have done some reading on these shocks. It says that they have built in bumpstops for both compression and extension. Are these designed to be the only bumpstop in your suspension setup or more like a last measure of protection where a primary bumpstop is needed?

In reality, ANY bumpstop - internal or external - is meant only for incidental use. About the second time you hit the compression stop you should be thinking about either a stiffer spring rate or more compression valving, or both. Determining when you hit the extension stop is a bit harder but not nearly as stressful because of the lesser forces involved.
The compression stop on the RideTech shocks is a fairly thick [1/2"] poly washer that also acts as a compression indicator. After you get the shocks installed, move that bumpstop/washer down the shaft until it hits the body of the shock. The next time you look under the car check out the position of that washer. If it is shoved all the way up to the top, then you have hit the bumpstop at least once and need to consider a stiffer spring rate. Anything short of that...you're good.
The extension stop on the RideTech unit is a simple O ring that is embedded into the bottom of the seal cap assembly. It is meant eliminate metal to metal contact upon full shock extension. Extension forces are not nearly as destructive as compression forces, but should be avoided in general, mostly to eliminate poor ride quality and handling performance.
If you allow any shock to bottom out or top out with regularity you will damage it eventually, not to mention incur a terrible ride quality in the process.

Motorcitydak
08-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Thanks a lot for the explanation, Im quite sure that I will have your shocks on my car sooner or later I just want to be sure that they last for a long time

Vegas69
08-29-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm defiintely interested in a set of these babies out back.