PDA

View Full Version : Power rack retrofit. Geometry question.

INTMD8
08-24-2011, 06:54 PM
I've read quite a bit on rack retrofits and I've come to what I believe is the proper solution but wanted to do a quick rundown.

Car in question is a 57 Eldorado. Distance from inner tie rods on center link is 16in center to center. Measured total travel of center link is 5.5 inches.

From what I'm reading, an early Cavalier rack has about 5.5 inches of travel and has center take off point.

So, if I build an adapter off the Cavalier rack that puts the inner tie rod's 16inches apart center to center and that adapter places the inner tie rods in the exact same location as the center link originally did should I expect it to work correctly? (essentially duplicating stock geometry)

Also fwiw the factory tie rods are a bit shorter than the lower control arms. (and I often see it suggested to match tie rod length to lower control arm length)

Any input appreciated, thanks!

Bryce
08-25-2011, 08:18 AM
You could copy the stock geometry, since you are building from scratch I would correct the bumpsteer if it is an issue.

Something to consider, the cavalier was a light car compared to an eldorado. Make sure it can handle the steering loads during cornering.