PDA

View Full Version : SPC adjustable uppers or RideTech Strongarms?

chuckd71
08-24-2011, 02:21 AM
I have some spc adjustable upper control arms already, but I was considering selling them and getting some of ridetech's uppers when I install my shockwaves. Aside from them being made to work together I also like the idea of not having to adjust them. Is there any real downside to taking this approach? Has anyone tried it both ways before?

GNon18s
08-24-2011, 09:12 AM
I would stick with what you have, Your alignment guy will thank you when he doesnt have to unbolt/shim when changes need to be made. The adjustment feature on the SPC arms is actually pretty cool.

olblue51
08-24-2011, 03:19 PM
I wouldn't think there would be any advantage in switching to the Strongarms. The adjustability and ease of setting you're alignment of the SPC arms is one of the main reasons I purchased mine. And I'm not sure, but I would also think the SPC arms would be a little bit lighter... especially if you have the upgraded Pro-Lite aluminum links.

chuckd71
08-24-2011, 09:44 PM
The links are hexagonal, not sure if those are upgraded or not. My main concern was the shape of the arms, I didn't know if the strongarms curved form would be better for wheel clearance. That being said, if the spc arms significantly simplifies adjustments when they do have to be made I'll just keep them.

Tony_SS
08-25-2011, 04:20 AM
Shims or no shims. That seems like the question.

olblue51
08-25-2011, 03:23 PM
The hexagonal links are the lightweight aluminum links. You shouldn't have to adjust them any more than you would with any other control arm. Basically only when you set your alignment and then your done. Unless you do alot of racing and are trying out different alignment specs. But they're an advantage in that situation too because you can adjust them with a quick turn of a wrench.

Tony_SS
08-26-2011, 08:50 AM
What's great about the SPC arms is you can set your "street" alignment and then use shims to set a "track" alignment. So when you get to the track, pop in the shims are you're set. When you're done, remove them and drive home.

chuckd71
08-26-2011, 10:58 AM
I've never raced, though I am building this car to take auto crossing once I learn how to 'drive'. I just bought a bunch of **** this last week and I'm tired of spending money so I'm just going to stick with the spc arms. I spent all day shimming my a/c compressor; if I never see another shim again it will be too soon. Thanks for the advice.

Tony_SS
08-26-2011, 11:14 AM
lol good times. That's why I got the SPC arms in the first place... couldn't get good alignment specs with a stack of shims... not good.

olblue51
08-26-2011, 01:03 PM
I hate shims too... They're ugly and without them you could probably get by with running a slighty shorter bolt and free up some header clearance. Although I never thought about using shims at the track and taking them out for your street alignment... good idea.

I skimmed through you're build thread on LS1Tech... nice project you've got going on. My buddy has a '71 Chevelle he's converting to a pro-touring car also. We're trying to get both of our cars ready for Power Tour next year. I've been trying to talk him into some SPC control arms but he's sticking to a budget and just got a good deal on a set of Hotchkis arms.