PDA

View Full Version : can 2nd gen camaros handle well with big blocks?

08-23-2011, 06:07 PM
As the title says. I am considering using a 496 with aluminum heads in my 70 camaro. Before I dive in I wanted to get some feedback on how it would effect the handling. Im willing to give up some but I don't want it to end up being too hard to drive around an autocross. Basically is it true that big block camaros can't handle or is that an old " mans" tale?

Vegas69
08-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Less weight is always better. It can be done with a big block, I do.

NJSPEEDER
08-23-2011, 07:02 PM
Is your small block iron head or aluminum? If you are already working with an iron topped smal block and the big block is aluminum head and fairly light internals the weight gained won't effect you as much as you may fear.

If anything I have seen a few people slightly lower and push back the engine by notching the fire wall to offset the weight gains.

-Tim

Taylor1969
08-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Go LS with BB cubes and shave off some weight :)... more power, more reliable and a hundred+ lb's lighter.

Chris

EFI69Cam
08-24-2011, 10:07 AM
Not quite.. the LSx 454 weighs 568lbs a BBC with alum heads is 590 lbs. Not hundreds of lbs lighter by any stretch.

sevillaz28
08-24-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm running a Big block with aluminum heads and my 67 handles great on the track. I have also had many 2nd Gen's with big blocks that handled excelent. It just depends on how much you want to spend on suspension to make up for the weight. Also make sure you put the engine back towards the firewall as far as you can.

08-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the replies. Yes right now the small block is iron heads. I thought seriously about going ls but even I already have the big block so I wanted to use parts I have to keep costs down. I have been debating on one of 3problems things. Freshen up the small block with budget aluminum heads and a decent cam. Go full blown p-t and buy an ls. Or go big with the half built 496 I have lying around now. My suspension is pretty simple. Spc a-arms w/tall ball joints and hotchkis leaf springs and bilsteans. Don't have swaybars yet and I know I will have to change out my front springs.

Procharmo
08-25-2011, 12:38 AM
Well........ I thought looking at this 1400hp BBC Procharged 3rd gen Trans Am on the track will give you an idea of the overall balance and driving style needed. It's very similar to my SBC 2nd Gen Camaro in attitude and power.....I can't wait to get video of it in action.!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvlZpHa8hZ8

Taylor1969
08-25-2011, 07:27 AM
Not quite.. the LSx 454 weighs 568lbs a BBC with alum heads is 590 lbs. Not hundreds of lbs lighter by any stretch.

Of course the iron block is close in weight... How about a stroked LS2/LS3 block? Saving a good amount of weight there. The other great thing is the lack of leak's you'll see with O-ring gaskets and modern molds. It is hard to argue the virtues of LSx vs. conventional block anymore. Let's talk gas mileage too...

EFI69Cam
08-25-2011, 09:09 AM
Of course the iron block is close in weight... How about a stroked LS2/LS3 block? Saving a good amount of weight there. The other great thing is the lack of leak's you'll see with O-ring gaskets and modern molds. It is hard to argue the virtues of LSx vs. conventional block anymore. Let's talk gas mileage too...

All true about the ls engines. The Gen 6 BBCs have most of those improvements also. I have had a couple late BBCs (7.4 and 8.1) in trucks and have not seen any oil leaks.

Gas mileage is more a benifit of an OD transmission and the EFI system GM uses on the LS engine. Case in point, my 8.1 2003 4wd 'burb gets 13-14 in town. My brother's 2wd lighter 6.0 2500 pickup gets 14-15. Same 4l85e trans and 4.11 gears. Hardly a huge difference in mileage.

My thought is that if you have a car setup for a BBC and you have a decent builder engine , go for the BBC. If you are starting from scratch the LS is the way to go. Dumping the BBC to save 100lbs of weight is not worth the money.

72BBSwinger
08-25-2011, 09:21 AM
I have a Dodge Dart with a BB and its no C6 by no means. I know it can be dialed in by using fiberglass and moving weight around is the key. Pollys T/A definitly has some push but hey I bet its hard to touch that car on a road course.

Randy67
08-25-2011, 11:09 AM
If I can autocross my Dakota R/T without any issues, you should be fine. It weighs 4140 lbs and has a bit over 2600 lbs on the front tires alone (without driver) and it handles pretty well for what it is. The weight difference won't be that bad with aluminum heads. You could always relocate other stuff like the battery to offset some of the weight gain.

Hotchkis
08-26-2011, 12:33 PM
69496 - Like others have pointed out, less weight is better. But with aluminum heads, a fiberglass hood, and moving the battery in the trunk will go far to better handling. It's hard to beat the fact that you already have the parts. Big block torque is icing on the cake. :)

camaro427-69
08-27-2011, 10:30 PM
if you want light bbc there´s no way to move around a all aluminum engine if you are not on a tight budget. when i swapped from my iron 468 to my all aluminum 540 it was worlds apart and at the end it´s just 2/3k more on the short block. there´s a lot of people saying you have loss of power due to ring sealing compared to a iron block but the way my 69 moves around corners and just beats up anything here no matter what direction you go makes it worth all the money i´ve spent.

01-05-2016, 08:53 PM
I know I'm bringing back an old post but thought I would give an update. Took longer than expected but I finally got my 496 in the car. Have to say I love it. Even with springs way too soft it still feels and handles amazing. I have some other issues but I think with some stiffer front springs and maybe addition of a rear bar it will be a better car than I am driver. I'm a little curious for any opinions on how stiff to go in the front and which rear bar everyone likes so please provide input if you can. I'm leaning towards 750lb fronts. I don't mind a bit of a harsh ride but with the big block I don't think the 750s will be too jarring anyways

64-Driver
03-02-2016, 09:29 AM
I used the cpp full kit with rear sway bar, that combined with frame connectors, really improved the handling of my 72. The front springs are 550# which seem to work well. My engine is a gen V block with aluminum heads.

TBART70
03-02-2016, 04:28 PM
548 inch Bowtie block. I don't rac e it is but it drives better than I thought. Very predictable. Full SpeedTech front suspension.

Skip Fix
03-03-2016, 03:00 PM
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/91011-Cars-in-autocross-area-at-Columbus-GoodGuys?

Herb Adams Cheverra here at good guys

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/1308-chevy-vse-cheverra/

BBC in it-and big brakes that fit in a 15" wheel!