PDA

View Full Version : pro-touring 57 ford ranchero front suspension ideas

521stroker57
08-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Hey im building a 1957 ford ranchero pro-touring project
Ive been searching around for the best option for a front suspension to use on the car. Just wondering if anyone on here has any ideas....ive been thinking C6 corvette but let me know what you guys think
Any suggestions are appreciated
Thanks
Dustin

dontlifttoshift
08-24-2011, 09:32 AM
I assume you are ready to cut off the front of the frame and weld something else on and are not willing to go with a full chassis from Morrison or similar.

We have used Heidts camaro subframes (they will build them with straight rails) in the past on various cars and for the money its hard to beat what you get when you are done. Another good option is DSE's new universal subframes....

Here is a heidts in a 40 buick http://frameupwheelworks.smugmug.com/Projects/Chuck-and-Barb-Stikas-1940/11031768_JAEto#771669258_ELjEX the pictures start on page two with ride height mock up on the chassis table. This is a lot of work and not a simple undertaking, but nothing is impossible. Without knowing what your capabilities are it's hard to say if this the right way for you to go, but something like this is an option.

You also need to consider what drivetrain you plan on running and what do you REALLY expect the car to do for you when it is finished. Pro-Touring as a style typically uses different parts than pro-touring as a philosophy....

PS if you really want to make that Ranchero stand out, I've got an edsel front clip that is virtually a bolt on.....:D

Donny

521stroker57
08-24-2011, 12:36 PM
My plans for the car are to autocross/road race and drive it on the street. I have a 521 bbf 650hp with a C6 and it will be moved back in the chassis 4-6 inches and a truck arm style rear suspension with a 3:07 gear ratio 9 inch. Im building a complete tube chassis for it. It will all be TIG welded and built on a chassis table. I will be building while attending HRI (Hot Rod Institute in Rapid City SD) Basically i want a road race/autocross car for the street that can take a beating. Also i think you may know my brother he has a 1956 ford F100 that he autocrossed at the 2010 Goodguys Heartland Nationals.

dontlifttoshift
08-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Yeah, that truck is badass. You guys are circle burners aren't you? He was wheeling that truck pretty well around there.

Someone smarter than me needs to respond to this. Corvette stuff really doesn't package real well by the time you get it narrow enough and the rack will be a problem.

Check out this thread on the hamb http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=551788 different car but the principles are the same. Ryan is a dirt track guy and basically adapted all of that to build this chassis.

Either one of the subframes listed above would work well but going to tech school, money can be hard to come by. I'm a wyotech grad myself and that was the brokest 9 months of my life. If you are not at HRI yet call and ask Doug if he's got a smart suspension guy out there......building stuff is cool.

I'm glad you are using pro-touring as a philosophy instead of a style....

Donny

521stroker57
08-24-2011, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the input. Those links are helpful lets me see what others are doing. That is a bad ass tube chassis in the second link and thats what im thinking about doing but not with the wide 5 so ill have to look into different spindles and figure out the geometry and maybe build my own control arms. Im gonna try to take in as much as i can while im at school and come out with a bad ass truck and alot of knowledge on this topic. And money will probly be tight but if i want it ill have to buy it you know how cars are lol you can only say no for so long haha. I appreciate your help Donny and hopefully more people will pipe in and give some suggestions.
Thanks Dustin.
Also ill add photos as i get started on the project and keep you all updated

carbuff
08-24-2011, 08:01 PM
I don't know if this is what you are really looking for, but my father was most of the way through his 57 Custom build using a FatMan Fabrications front clip. It's not built to be an all out suspension setup, but it worked out pretty well for this car...

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/08/57ford01-1.jpg

More pictures at:

1957 Ford Custom (http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/carbuff69/1957%20Ford%20Custom/?start=all)

Good luck!

Bryce
08-25-2011, 07:38 AM
Welcome stroker,

This sounds like a great project. If you are building on a budget I suggest you build your own suspension. That is what I did on my falcon.

I can help with suspension geometry if needed. I dont know what the stock frame looks like, but I bet if you take off all the stock stuff you could weld on all new attachment points. and build your own control arms. The spindle choice will be the biggest concern.

521stroker57
08-25-2011, 04:46 PM
Hey just wondering if anyone knows of a good front suspension geometry software?
Donny on that pro g front clip what gen camaro was it for?

Bryce
08-25-2011, 05:39 PM
I use perfromance trends. you can get a free trial or ten days.

521stroker57
08-26-2011, 03:15 PM
What do you all think of the AME C6 VETTE weld in subframe?

Bryce
08-27-2011, 11:59 AM
What do you all think of the AME C6 VETTE weld in subframe?

good choice if you have the cash!

dontlifttoshift
08-27-2011, 07:51 PM
I think we used 2nd gen on that car, it's the narrower of the two and give the most room for tires. The track width is 60" I believe.

521stroker57
08-27-2011, 09:19 PM
I see. I called and asked if they would sell me a 1st gen nova clip cause it matches the track width i needed most but they wont sell me just the clip with control arms and spindles and nothing else so i had to rethink and i was looking at the AME C6 vette clip they sell bare for 1600 then i can get my own control arms, knuckles, and hubs for cheaper than they would sell those items for. What do you think of that art morrison clip Donny??

dontlifttoshift
08-29-2011, 09:47 AM
I honestly don't know anything about the morrison clip, but I got to believe that if heidts early nova stub was about right for trackwidth that the morrison setup would be too wide.

521stroker57
08-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Ok so a stock 57 ford front track width is 58 15/16
Heidts nova pro g track width is 56.5
Art Morrison C6 vette you can get in either 57.5 or 61.5
I want to have a slightly narrower track with just for wheel clearence.

521stroker57
08-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Check my bros truck out haha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvjK4svU10w

521stroker57
09-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Hey guys just was gonna let you all know that i decided to go with a lefthander perimeter clip for a latemodel asphault car

Bryce
09-07-2011, 04:43 AM
Cool, Is that a symetrical clip?

521stroker57
09-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Yeah it is symetrical. It is meant for a road race late model, so it should work very well for my purpose. Also it is way more cost friendly than any other option out there. Picking it up next thursday after i visit the roadster shop with my brother to pick up a chassis for a 65 cutlass my brother is doing at his work.