PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody used ENERGY SUSPENSION brand body bushings?

Glock 18
08-21-2011, 07:24 AM
I have the Energy Suspension polyurethane body bushings for my '69 Chevelle. I was going to use them for a mild pro-touring build but somebody in the industry said they ride extremely stiff, especially with my 18" Nitto 555 tires. He thought I would be unhappy with the ride. He recommended rubber bushings from Original Parts Group for a more pleasant ride. My car is mainly a street car geared for performance, not an all-out autocross car. Can anybody please give me your experience with these body bushings? Thanks a lot!

SLO_Z28
08-21-2011, 07:44 AM
You want the most soild way of attaching the sub frame to the body as posible. The eneergy suspension bushings are even a little on the soft side. I would reconmend the "summit" or "Jegs" branded solid body bushings, as they are both made by a major manufacturer, but for a significant discount.

There is absolutely no increase in NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness) at all with these bushings, in fact it significantly lowers NVH. I wouldnt take advice from someone that said that...

Glock 18
08-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Has anyone out there used the Energy Suspension polyurethane body bushings?

Norm Peterson
08-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Your '69 Chevelle is a full-frame car just like my '79 Malibu (see avatar). I replaced ten of the body to frame bushings on that car with the 88A durometer Energy Suspension bushings and hardly noticed any difference in NVH. They're fine for street driving up through moderately serious autocross and the occasional track day.

Norm

wmhjr
08-21-2011, 02:00 PM
The whole bushing thing is a matter of opinion. I am using the Energy Suspension bushings in my '66 A-body. That being said, I have some experience with solids as well, and do not agree that they do not induce more vibration. Not saying don't use them but I can attest that there is some truth to there sometimes being an NVH issue with solids.

The energy suspension ones work fine for me. I do have a vert which complicates things somewhat, and am also now using solid motor mounts for what it's worth.

TD509EFI
08-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Used the complete Energy Suspension bushing set on my sons' 80 Z28. Works very well at reducing body flex without undue harshness. They've been in there for the last seven years without any problems. IMHO, much better than factory rubber.
John

BonzoHansen
08-21-2011, 04:47 PM
I have solid GW bushings in my 2nd gen, along with pro-touring f-body SFCs. IMO they add nothing to NVH. Poly motor & trans mounts add more to it. New cars are all one stub now, how's the NVH there?

If you make an old car handle, it is not going to ride like q 79 Caddy. And that is a good thing where I sit. $0.02

Glock 18
08-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I'm still a little unsure if I would be better off with polyurethane or the rubber bushings. Either would work for my application, I just do not want a harsh ride after going through a frame-off restoration. Thanks again.

SLO_Z28
08-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Solid > Poly > Rubber. Id still go poly, its MUCH better than rubber!

TT302Z28
08-21-2011, 09:14 PM
I have used the energy poly bushings on 69 and 70 Chevelles that I have owned. No noticed harshness or noise. I doubt this is an area that you can tell the difference like in the suspension. The polys hold their shape and don't rot like the rubber ones.

Norm Peterson
08-22-2011, 03:36 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I'm still a little unsure if I would be better off with polyurethane or the rubber bushings. Either would work for my application, I just do not want a harsh ride after going through a frame-off restoration. Thanks again.
I bet you'd notice a greater difference in harshness between running Bilstein shocks (good) and KYB Gas-A-Justs (not quite as good), or between 60 series and 55 series tires than between rubber and poly body mount bushings. There's certainly a bigger difference between almost anybody else's off-the-shelf shocks and Tokico Illuminas.

Norm

wmhjr
08-22-2011, 04:37 AM
I have solid GW bushings in my 2nd gen, along with pro-touring f-body SFCs. IMO they add nothing to NVH. Poly motor & trans mounts add more to it. New cars are all one stub now, how's the NVH there?

If you make an old car handle, it is not going to ride like q 79 Caddy. And that is a good thing where I sit. $0.02

Sorry. Not true. Many new cars including all of mine have isolator bushings. It is a widely believed wives tail that they are solid mounted.

eldogg
08-22-2011, 04:46 AM
I've used Energy Suspension bushings in tons of builds over the years. #1 way easier to install than rubber, #2 Last almost forever, #3 Look way better #4 just as quiet if installed correctly. A shock choice makes a more difference than bushings.

Glock 18
08-22-2011, 07:48 AM
I'm running 18" Nitto NT555 tires with Bilstein shocks on the back and QA1 coilovers in front. One advantage of the OPG rubber body bushing set is that it comes with the necessary metal sleeves and inserts that's used for some of the bushings. If I use my Energy Suspension body bushings, I'll either have to buy a hardware set that includes the metal sleeves and inserts, or cut metal pipe (which I already have) to the correct length and use them as insert sleeves.

T-Bone
08-26-2011, 10:50 PM
I've got Energy subframe bushings on my '68 Camaro. They are noticeably harsher than the stock rubber bushings on railroad track crossings and some bumps, but aren't too bad. Give them a try.

shep
08-27-2011, 06:31 AM
For the chevelle unless you are going to build you own solid mounts poly or rubber are your only choices. As stated previously most rubber ones come with hardware most poly ones do not.

Norm Peterson
08-27-2011, 01:16 PM
I think I ended up buying SAE Grade 8 bolts/nuts/washers separately. It's been a while . . .

Norm