PDA

View Full Version : Rearend leak

atl69camaro
08-20-2011, 06:28 PM
I have a 12 bolt rear in my 69 Camaro. I had some work done on the it and the mechanic said that he accidently overfilled with fluid and it may leak a bit for a while. Well, it's been 6 plus months and it's still leaking. It seems to be coming from the top of the diff toward the passenger side. There is something about a half inch round sticking up about an inch inch in that area. Is this a breather or something and could it be coming from that?

Also, I'm not sure how you would overfill the rear end , as I thought you were supposed to fill until it starts coming out the filler hole. However, I do have an aluminum Moser diff cover. Could the filler plug be located higher than stock and allow for more fluid, which may cause it to leak out the breather?

Any help would be appreciated.

Poochie
08-21-2011, 02:47 PM
I had the same issue and asked Moser. They said to use the fill plug on the rear end itself, not the one on the cover. Simply remove the fill plug on the passenger side of the diff (put a bucket underneath!) and let the fluid drain down

The one on the cover is indeed higher, and will let you put in another litre (quart) or so of fluid before coming out that hole.

atl69camaro
08-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Poochie,

I appreciate your help with this. It's odd that Moser would design their covers this way.

As for the fill plug on the rear end itself, where is it? I didn't even know one existed except on the diff cover.

Poochie
08-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Passenger side, about half way along the housing (front to rear) and just above a large "rib" on the case. It's a pipe plug. Some take a 1/2" square drive (think ratchet extension) and some take a large allen key, but I'm afraid I'm not sure on the size.

atl69camaro
08-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks again for your help, Poochie.