PDA

View Full Version : Rack and pinion in 69 camaro........... what headers

4RS FED
08-16-2011, 09:49 AM
I need some help from you guys here.
I can't believe I am the first one to have a problem with this.

I am trying to finish this 1969 Camaro I have been working on.
I put a Unisteer bolt in rack and pinion kit on this car and am trying to get a set of headers on the car now.

The car is a floor shifted 4 speed car.
I do NOT want a full length header.
Something like a 3/4 or shorty is fine with me.
I bought a set of hedman 68648 headers and the driver side is NO where near fitting.
The stub that connects the rack and pinion to the factory column is in the way.

I can't believe I am the first person to put a r/p in a first gen with a manual transmission that doesn't want full length headers.

Unisteer is NO help and just tell me to put a full length header on the car.
I have spent HOURS googling for an answer.

Any ideas or help????

killer69
08-17-2011, 07:16 AM
I will 98% guarantee you are the first!
we make long tube stainless headers that fit a one peice shaft. but that is the only header i know if that fits with out modification. Sorry

MrQuick
08-17-2011, 08:12 AM
you can loose the $1200 rack kit or loose the $400 headers. I would have a set of headers custom made to fit to keep it all.

zbugger
08-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Well, if you could post a picture of the headers it would make things a little easier. But I got a little bug up my butt and looked up some pictures of the headers you said you got, the 68648, and the set I usually recommend, the 68608. The picture of the 68648 showed me where the collector is further forward than the collector on the 68608. That one might clear up your issue, but create another one. You can't use mechanical clutch linkage with the 68608. So that means you're in a little bit of a quandary. Have you considered using a block hugger type?

4RS FED
08-18-2011, 09:05 AM
I found a set of headers that work and clear the rack shaft and the z bar linkage.
But they are very small tube size 1 1/2".
They are going to choke this 500hp engine. (dyno'd at 497 on pump gas)

Sandersons headers makes them
part # cc12

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Anyone notice that drive side header?
Does it look like something off of another year make model?

EFI69Cam
08-18-2011, 12:28 PM
I need some help from you guys here.
I can't believe I am the first one to have a problem with this.

I am trying to finish this 1969 Camaro I have been working on.
I put a Unisteer bolt in rack and pinion kit on this car and am trying to get a set of headers on the car now.

The car is a floor shifted 4 speed car.
I do NOT want a full length header.
Something like a 3/4 or shorty is fine with me.
I bought a set of hedman 68648 headers and the driver side is NO where near fitting.
The stub that connects the rack and pinion to the factory column is in the way.

I can't believe I am the first person to put a r/p in a first gen with a manual transmission that doesn't want full length headers.

Unisteer is NO help and just tell me to put a full length header on the car.
I have spent HOURS googling for an answer.

Any ideas or help????

Why not long tubes? You're leaving power on the table with shorties and the newer headers built for the custom applications like the ones Speedtech offers typically do not hang low like the race oriented headers offered in the past.
The Lemon's long tubes I have for my BBC/DSE frame combo are tucked up as high as the floor pan will allow.
The other trick to avoiding the scraping that makes living with long tubes difficult is to swap the squishy stock springs for a set of stiffer aftermarket springs like hotchkis. The Hooker long tubes I had before the lemons did not scrape after I installed the hotchkis springs even though they hung down pretty low.