PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade front suspension,F irebird -68

RamAir
08-14-2011, 03:58 AM
Hi ! I have a 68 Firebird with DSE quadra link rear suspension and now it is time to improve the front suspension. There are several ways to go and I need some advise.
To day I am running a stock sub frame with KONI red damper and GW upper control arm. I would like to improve the handling but I dont have the budget for the DSE sub frame (or some othe brand).
I will change the brakes to C5/C6, so should I go with:

AFX tall spindle
L&H tall spindle
Proforge 0.5" longer upper ball
DSE Coil over / UCA relocation kit

The tall upper ball joint is cheap but on the other hand, converting to C5/C6 brakes will be significant more expensive compare with AFX.
I do not know if the Corvette brakes fit L&H spindle.

Please give some input on this

Magnus

Tom Welch
08-19-2011, 04:53 AM
I purchased the AFX spindles and I already have SPC upper and lower arms. Still waiting on the spindles to arrive. It is more expensive but I only want to do this 1 time on this car so I went with what I figured was the best all around option for these parts. I am also using a stock subframe. I dont see much advantage in an aftermarket frame for a street driven car that will see a little track use. After studying the available options I still think I went the right way. The AFX spindle is superior to anything else out there as far as I can tell. my.02

baz67
08-19-2011, 01:46 PM
If you go with the DSE coilover kit AND keep the GW uppers you should locate the UCA bracket from the DSE kit in the stock location. If I remember correctly the DSE kit moves the UCA mounting holes aft to add caster. The GW uppers already do that. You can shim it out with a hefty shim stack.