PDA

View Full Version : 1965-66 Mustang

dougnugent1
08-13-2011, 07:12 PM
I am buliding a 1965 mustang fastback. I just got my TCI front suspension in. I am going to mini tub the car. What rear suspension will work well for the set up? Also I am wanting to put 18 inch wheels on the front with 20 inch wheels on the back. Please post pictures of your car with similar set up.

Bryce
08-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Check out my falcon build. I built my own 3-link.

But just stick with the TCI torque arm. They match up good!

SLO_Z28
08-14-2011, 09:58 AM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/08/extreme_rear_suspension_0046-1.jpg
Maier Racing rear setup. Its a proven winner.

dougnugent1
08-14-2011, 06:48 PM
What is yall opinion on the G-bar set up? How does it work with mini tubs? Will the stance of the car sit low? I am mostly going to be crusing but every once in a while would like to go to the local drag strip.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Thanks, Doug

SLO_Z28
08-14-2011, 08:59 PM
If this is a street/drag car I would get good quality springs, and use cal-tracs. All of this is made for cornering, not launching hard.

dougnugent1
08-15-2011, 01:38 PM
I was looking for something that would work good for the drag strip and auto cross. I am new to building cars. Is this not a good concept. The motor is sbf twin turbo with 750hp.

Norm Peterson
08-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Will the stance of the car sit low? I am mostly going to be crusing but every once in a while would like to go to the local drag strip.
Your basic rear ride height will be set by the weight of the rear of your car and the stiffness of the springs that you choose. There may be a little height adjustment in the coilovers for fine tuning purposes.

Later on, you mention autocrossing, which tends to complicate things even though autocross geometry is better for street driving than dragstrip-oriented geometry is. I think that means you want to have a fairly high amount of anti-squat without getting too much axle rollsteer or having too high of a rear roll center. That will drop some rear suspension configurations (such as the Fox-body arrangement with the UCAs mounted up near the top of the pumpkin) from serious consideration and force where you might put the pivots in others. It'll still compromise one of those activities.

You might even consider having a suspension that gives you easy swapping of a couple of the pivots between different heights with one set for the dragstrip only and the other set for everything else. Two more bolts shouldn't be that much more prep after the swapping of the rear wheels/tires that I imagine you're going to be doing as it is.

Norm