PDA

View Full Version : Bumpsteer Corrected Tall Outer Tie Rod Ends for 1967-69 Camaro and Firebird

Proforged
08-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Hi all,

We've been developing a new product over here and wanted to share some details about the project. We all know that the 1st Gen F-bodies suffer from excessive bumpsteer, and until now the only solution has been an expensive, rod end-style outer tie rod end that required a bit of work to get configured correctly.

For 1st Gen owners that are looking for a bolt-in solution, we've developed a Bumpsteer Corrected Tall Outer Tie Rod End. It's 0.50" taller than a stock tie rod end and yields a significant reduction in bumpsteer when used with either stock or Tall Ball Joints. We utilize forged SAE4140 steel for the ball stud and forged SAE1045 for the housings, which are virtually rustproof with a durable black electrocoating. Full details on the testing (courtesy of David Pozzi - thanks David!) are shown at the bottom of the post.

We have these in-stock and ready to ship, and we ship same-day if you order by 2pm EST.

http://www.proforged.com/Proforged-Camaro-Tall-Outer-Tie-Rod-Ends

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

PS - these go great with our new Billet Aluminum Tie Rod Sleeves:

http://www.proforged.com/1967-69-Camaro-Firebird-Billet-Aluminum-Tie-Rod-Sleeves

Tall Outer Tie Rod End Test Results:

killer69
08-07-2011, 07:59 AM
Looks like a slight improvement. I notice that it is actually better with the short upper ball joint than the tall ball joints.
Another thing to keep in mind is the wheel clearance will change with the outer tie rod hanging down another 1/2"

DarkoNova
08-07-2011, 09:33 AM
Since this works with tall balljoints, does it work with tall spindles as well?

David Pozzi
08-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Yes, but if a tall spindle is 1 1/4" taller than stock, then the tie rod end will probably need to be 3/4" to 7/8" longer than stock. The 1/2" taller versions above are a better choice than stock tie rod ends assuming a stock steering arm location is used.

DarkoNova
08-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Well it's the tall ATS spindle. IIRC, it's 1" taller than stock? It's been a while since I bought them so I don't even remember how much taller they are, lol.

David Pozzi
08-07-2011, 05:43 PM
It's 1 1/4" taller I think. On the One Lap Camaro we used a rod end & found the optimum spacer was 7/8" to 15/16". I'm not sure what length tie rod end this would be, but more than the .5" taller ones.

novaderrik
08-07-2011, 07:59 PM
i thought the ATS steering arms moved the tie rod attachment point to a more ideal location, which would make these taller tie rods unnecessary?

David Pozzi
08-07-2011, 09:20 PM
In the case of the ATS spindle, we were working with an already installed rod end that was bolted up against the bottom of the steering arm, the taper was drilled out & I think a couple of washers were installed. I'd have to go back and compare that to a stock tie rod end position to see.
David

killer69
08-08-2011, 07:38 AM
The AFX spindle is actually 1.5" taller than stock. The steering arm mounting location lowered .625 below stock spindles, I

would suggest that the tall tie rod end will cause wheel interfeance with the AFX spindle and should not be required

Garymac69
08-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Would these make a noticable improvement with my combination: Stock spindle, Guldstrand Mod, 3" drop?

Proforged
08-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Would these make a noticable improvement with my combination: Stock spindle, Guldstrand Mod, 3" drop?

It should give you results somewhere in between the results of a stock ball joint and the results of a tall ball joint. Definitely a noticeable improvement!

Buryingthesun
08-25-2011, 11:25 AM
I intendon on making my purchase next week after doing my own research on the effect of a taller tie rod end.

Marcus SC&C
09-30-2011, 09:19 AM
These are knock offs of our tall bump steer correction Howe tie rod ends which we have sold as part of our Stage 2 and 2-Plus packages for 6 or 7 years now. They look pretty decent, I have a set here by my desk (thanks Zack).
As for the bumpsteer numbers the devil is in the details. Comparisons need to be done between stock parts, not rod ends and the tall tie rod ends to yield any relevant conclusions. Alignment, specifically caster also plays a big part. Altering caster tilts the spindles and raises or lowers the tie rods in relation to the center link. .125" is a LOT as it pertains to bump steer. We include the correct alignment settings with our products to get the most out of them. For those with a bump steer gauge and the inclination we also have a fully adjustable version called Quickbump that allow infinite changes within their adjustment range without disassembly. The require the steering arms to to drilled and tapped.
The AFX and FatMan (and relabled Fatman) spindles have steering arm drop built into the spindles themselves. Do NOT use a taller tie rod with them, unless you enjoy LOTS of bumpsteer. ;) Other spindles like the L&H Kustoms spindles have their mounting holes in the stock locations but use billet steering arms with the height corrections built in to correct the bump steer. The latest version is a short Z28 length arm with mitigates the clearance issues associated with relocated tie rod ends by pulling them in toward the centerline of the spindles. They also quicken the steering ratio and increase ackerman which on these cars noticably improves turn in. All just different ways of achieving similar ends with a little edge here and there going to each method. Mark SC&C

alky
11-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Hey Zach,

What is the part number for your 1/2" taller upper ball joints?

Thanks

Proforged
11-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Hey Zach,

What is the part number for your 1/2" taller upper ball joints?

Thanks

Here is a list of all the tall ball joints we have:

http://www.proforged.com/Promo-1

Thanks!

alky
11-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Great Thanks

john55blaze
12-02-2011, 11:53 AM
If I'm reading this correctly it appears that the tall outer tie rod ends used ALONE produce far better results than using WITH tall upper ball joints or using ONLY tall upper ball joints. Is that correct? Also on a (only) slightly unrelated topic I have seen the argument made (I think by BMR) that tall upper ball joints are better (or as good as, but reversable) than the ever popular g-mod...All this being said is it possible that One product is as effective as any one pairing or all of the above mentioned things? I'm just trying to wrap my mind around these things as I have yet to "jump in" on my project and I have a rediculously small budget and I only want to do things once. Thanks for the help!

blakes72x
12-25-2011, 10:00 PM
these will work on a 72 nova also correct?

Proforged
12-26-2011, 05:49 AM
these will work on a 72 nova also correct?

Correct!

muzzy
01-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Whats the impact of having a lowered ride height on the tall outer tie rod ends?,from past attempts to correct bump steer with off the shelf parts the ride height had a large impact.

67ssrs
04-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Thought it best to keep this together rather than start a new post!

I see John55blaze posts above
where he interprets that the taller tie rods are better with the stock upper ball joint based on the chart above. Is this correct or would you elaborate further on using your standard upper ball joint with the taller tierods on a stock camaro suspensin. I am considering purchasing your pieces to try out and would like confirmation on the pros and cons of running the taller tierods with standard Vs Tall ball joints. Is it a bad angle issue that comes into effect with using the shorter/standard upper ball joint with taller tierod.

The second question is it "necessary" to run a taller lower ball joint in conjunction with ether the taller tierods and either the standard or taller upper ball a joint after clarification to the first part of the question?