PDA

View Full Version : steering arms to long

67 ls1 vert
08-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Is there an after market place out there that makes short steering arms? The ones I have are the long ones and hit the inside of the wheel? I don't mind if they are billet. I have looked all over the Internet and it looks like there is only the long and medium lengths available. I have a 67 camaro with PS.

MrQuick
08-04-2011, 08:42 PM
here is an aftermarket unit available. http://www.lhkustoms.com/products.htm

don't forget this too.... https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?81129-RideTech-Tru-Turn-System

67 ls1 vert
08-04-2011, 11:57 PM
Thanks, I've looked at the lower link before but it looks like they will not work with the ATS spindles.
I will give LH a call tomorrow and check on the details.

Thanks for the tip.

MarkM66
08-05-2011, 03:29 AM
What wheel size and backspacing are you using?

I think I've saw on one of these site, where someone put a small spacer between the arm and the spindle to move the arm away from the wheel.

exwestracer
08-05-2011, 04:47 AM
If you can't find what you need, those can be fabricated fairly easily (by someone who knows what they are doing). I wouldn't go any shorter on the effective length than you absolutely need to.

MrQuick
08-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Thanks, I've looked at the lower link before but it looks like they will not work with the ATS spindles.

Thanks for the tip.

sorry, i missed that little detail....you are fubar but you can see what Ride tech comes up with. Your only "real" alternative. We did a bunch of work in the early years trying to get someting to work with deep bs. We scrapped it. Way to much unless you modify/change the drag link.

Nessumsar
08-05-2011, 08:56 AM
How much would the arm have to move inboard to clear? Its not ideal but you can space the arm inward using a stack of washers; I have my arms spaced inward about 1.5" (untill I can fabricate new ones..), my tierod end is inline with my LBJ. I am effectively running 6"BS, ~5.8" on the wheel along with the drums hubs .2".

L & H Kustoms
08-05-2011, 09:50 AM

Thanks for the tip.

We have the short "Z/28" length steering arms for the ATS spindle being machined out now and they should be ready to ship within 2 weeks. Check out our site for info or feel free to give me a call. We have 18 sets being machined and 7 sets are already pre sold.

j-rho
08-05-2011, 11:58 AM
We have the short "Z/28" length steering arms for the ATS spindle being machined out now and they should be ready to ship within 2 weeks. Check out our site for info or feel free to give me a call. We have 18 sets being machined and 7 sets are already pre sold.Any thoughts of making them for stock spindles? I'd buy a pair if made available, I bet a lot of others would too...

Thanks!

Nessumsar
08-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Any thoughts of making them for stock spindles? I'd buy a pair if made available, I bet a lot of others would too...

Thanks!

I would have been interested in a short version of the steering arm when my subframe was stock. I may still be now once I see them.

L & H Kustoms
08-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Any thoughts of making them for stock spindles? I'd buy a pair if made available, I bet a lot of others would too...

Thanks!

We already offer the Z/28 arm for the stock spindle. It has the bumpsteer corrected geometry built into arm. They are designed for our Pro Billet™ spindles and stock spindles. They are in stock and ready to ship. http://lhkustoms.com/products.htm

The Z/28 arms for the ATS Spindle will be ready to ship within 2 weeks. These are a billet version of the stock Z/28 "short" steering arms with no bumpsteer correction built into the arm since the ATS spindle has the bumpsteer correction built into the spindle.

dhutton
08-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Speedway has repop short steering arms.