PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

NightDiver
08-04-2011, 10:33 AM
I am currently in the planning stages of a '68 Camaro Coupe project and need some information / advice about replacing the stock suspension. As of now, I am leaning towards either the one-piece chassis from Schwartz Performance or Heidts sub frame and bolt-in IRS combination. In addition to upgrading the stock suspension, both of these options will take care of steering and brake upgrades as well as come with a new rear end. Even though they are a bit more than the 45 min drive from home like the other two, it is also hard to ignore Hotchkis as an alternative.

My question now is, if I intend to use this mostly on the street with the possibility of an occasional competition in the future, which of these new systems would fit my application best? Or, if I'm missing another valid choice, would that be better, and why? Any information regarding additional fab work (such as rerouting exhaust, amount of extra welding, etc) would be appreciated as well.

exwestracer
08-05-2011, 05:04 AM
Advice? Be realistic about your budget...

If it will support either of those options, I would go with the IRS first if you want comfort and handling. You have many more options for the front, including some simple mods to the stock stub (providing it's in good shape).

If you want max acceleration capability, stick with the solid axle.

IMO, you don't need to convert the car to a full chassis, unless you want to say you did it...

NightDiver
08-05-2011, 07:18 AM
Advice? Be realistic about your budget...

If it will support either of those options, I would go with the IRS first if you want comfort and handling. You have many more options for the front, including some simple mods to the stock stub (providing it's in good shape).

If you want max acceleration capability, stick with the solid axle.

IMO, you don't need to convert the car to a full chassis, unless you want to say you did it...

Since this will be primarily a weekend project worked on as classes and National Guard duties allow, I figure its going to take a few years so budget is pretty much only limited by how much time I want to add while saving for the next batch of pieces. As it stands now, however, Im looking at about 40K over 5 years for the entire project.

Currently missing engine and hood, the original stub has been exposed to the elements along with midwest winters so I'm planning for worst case scenario that it will need to be replaced. Media blasting may give me some good news, but at least this way I wont be surprised with an extra expense.

As for the rear, I guess I'm trying to find out if, as intended as mostly a highway cruiser, the added comfort and handling from the IRS would be worth the added expense and loss of acceleration.

NightDiver
08-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Upon further review and further discussions by email and offline with local friends, I think I'll pass on the IRS. While it may give me additional comfort and handling and possibly additional 'wow' factor from being a bit further from the norm, the difference in price would pretty much cover the cost of a new T56 and clutch assembly. Now to figure out what to go with as far as springs go...

Hotchkis
08-16-2011, 08:20 AM
NightDriver - We appreciate you considering of Hotchkis for your '68 Camaro.

Carl Casanova has proven that the Hotchkis TVS can be a great performer!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H9dyAVekzQ

Did you see Carl's videos in the Super Chevy article? LINK yup, cool

http://www.superchevy.com/features/camaro/sucp_1103_hotchkis_1968_chevrolet_camaro/index.html

Good luck choosing!

NightDiver
08-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Its not hard to see the benefits of going with Hotchkis as a valid option... Between Mary Pozzi and Carl, the competition readiness of the system is fairly obvious. While I don't plan on seeing the track anytime soon, with the ability being there, along with the street performance upgrade from original equipment, its an attractive choice, especially with the straight forward bolt-on design and compatibility with the remaining stock equipment. Since my original post, I've done more research, talked to people who have used the various suspensions, and from what I could see for my purposes and from a performance to cost standpoint, it just makes sense to go with the TVS (small block since I plan on dropping in an LS1 / T56 combination), the tubular a-arms, and a new steering box.