PDA

View Full Version : Power steering pump

70Uglybird
08-02-2011, 03:17 PM
I just put a 400 in my 73 firebird and the power steering pump that came with the motor is puking. Is there something good to upgrade too? Or just go with a stock replacment.

Thanks!

Bobby

SLO_Z28
08-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Theres several companies that make OEM style replacements pumps that are better quality and higher flow. Personally I want to go to the GM Type 2 pump found in the LS engines, it takes less power to turn and flows better(which matters with some aftermarket boxes. Again there's any number of companies that have the parts for this swap, its worthwhile for reliability and power gains, I know that having my 10th or so parts store reman pump fail on my is the motivator for me.

The style pump im talking about:
http://www.detroitspeed.com/1962-1967-Chevy-II-Products/62-67-Chevy-II-strng.html

wmhjr
08-03-2011, 04:37 AM
Lee steering is another option. With the poncho motor you'll have to do some fabrication to use a non Saginaw pump. No brackets for Type II that I'm aware of.

silver69camaro
08-03-2011, 05:48 AM
Three come to mind: Lee, KRC, and Turn One. I've used KRC's pump personally and I really like it. The flow is constant, smooth, and adjustable. I immediately noticed a difference when I installed it.