PDA

View Full Version : Types of 4-Link Suspensions

69-er
08-01-2011, 04:01 PM
We have decided to go get rid of the leaf springs on the 69 Camaro and go with a 4-link setup. I've never examined one up close or installed one before.

I've seen "4-link" and "4-bar" systems. It looks like the 4 bar systems have equal length links while the 4 links are unequal. I understand unequal lengths are more desirable for wheel hop. This car won't be thrashed at the track, so the absolute best performance isn't necessary. Or is it?

Also, tire clearance is tight, width-wise, so I'm not too crazy on using a panhard bar. We really can't afford any side-to-side movement during suspension travel. Are there triangulated 4 links out there?

If anyone can point me in the right direction to get started on my rear suspension education, that would be great!

bhcustomdesigns
08-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Well there are several different setups out there and it really depends on how much work you want to get into whether it be a bolt in or some welding and fab required but I would recommend detroit speed quadralink setup .

ProdigyCustoms
08-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Also, tire clearance is tight, width-wise, so I'm not too crazy on using a panhard bar. We really can't afford any side-to-side movement during suspension travel. Are there triangulated 4 links out there?

If anyone can point me in the right direction to get started on my rear suspension education, that would be great!

There are a few triangle 4 link conversions. Ride Tech and Chris Alston are our 2 most popular selling triangle 4 links.

exwestracer
08-01-2011, 06:46 PM
We have decided to go get rid of the leaf springs on the 69 Camaro and go with a 4-link setup. I've never examined one up close or installed one before.

I've seen "4-link" and "4-bar" systems. It looks like the 4 bar systems have equal length links while the 4 links are unequal. I understand unequal lengths are more desirable for wheel hop. This car won't be thrashed at the track, so the absolute best performance isn't necessary. Or is it?

Well you are sort of at cross purposes in one way. The triangulated 4 link with street bushings (not urethane) will allow a slight amount of side movement under hard side loads. The closer you get the upper links to a 90deg angle, the better it will keep the axle centered. Many of the kits out there are designed to mount the upper links on the housing tubes rather than the center section. This makes it tougher to get the 90deg angle.

The parallel 4 bar with a watts linkage would probably keep the housing centered best, but it's a lot of linkage to cram into a tight space.

Bryce
08-02-2011, 06:53 AM
What about a 3-link with a watts link? One less link to "cram" on there! HAHA. I have little to no side defelction in my watts setup.

silver69camaro
08-02-2011, 08:48 AM
I wouldn't worry about side deflection with any well designed suspension. A long panhard may move the axle sideways 1/16" at best, nothing to worry about...same goes for most triangulated setups with urethane bushings.

dontlifttoshift
08-02-2011, 08:51 AM
Just for reference, I have never seen more than an .100" of side movement through 5" of travel with a properly designed and located panhard bar. if your tires are that close they will rub anyways. If this is a street car that MAY see some autocross I can say with confidence that a panhard will be fine.

I have no testing to verify but I feel that a good panhard will control side to side movement as well as an average tri link under load and infinitely better than leaf springs. So if the tires don't rub now they won't with a 4 link and a panhard.

The smart guys will chime in here and let us know if I am wrong.

exwestracer
08-02-2011, 01:25 PM
OP is being a little cagey about how much tire and how much clearance is available, but I was thinking BIG tires and not a lot of room for a long panhard... More side motion just from travel/arc.

JRouche
08-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Yup. A LONG pan hard bar will do it. I have one in one of my cars that can fit it, the bar is almost as long as the housing. It does a great job.

My other car doesnt have the space. No way no how, I tried several variations. So I went with a watts link setup. Perfect for that car.

Both cars handle like they are "on rails". The one with the pan hard bar will prolly drive around the one with the watts ONLY cause its very light and small. So it wins on the G circle. But the other one will eat it up if there is a hint of room to open up some HP. JR

BMR Sales
09-08-2011, 01:59 PM

Are you running a 10,12 bolt or 9" rear end?

Henesian
09-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Just curious. Does anyone use circle-track style 4-link birdcages with panhard bars that bolt from the birdcage to the frame of the car? Upper and lower on each side with different lengths.