PDA

View Full Version : 12 bolt/autocross problems?

white79bu
07-31-2011, 05:47 PM
The past few weeks I have been autocrossing my 79 Malibu. The car has been driven very little the past few years due to life.

The car has a 12 bolt with a Brute Strength posi that has never had an issue. But I have noticed that the car seems to be spinning one tire at times and it's killing my autocross times. But the car will spin both tires in a straight line. I was kind of thinking the diff may need alittle fluid. I haven't touched the rearend for probably 10 years.

I did install a DSE rear sway bar that is very stiff but I don't think that would have anything to do with the rearend.

David Pozzi
07-31-2011, 06:23 PM
If you put a little too much rear bar on it you can have wheel spin especially on right hand turns. If the inside rear wheel is unweighted enough it can happen.
David

Skip Fix
08-03-2011, 06:58 PM
David said my first thoughts also. My TA would do that if I had bigger than a 5/8 rear bar even with road race slicks, even the factory WS6 bar. Also pulling in a really slanted driveway it would do it.

Alos if the posi clutches are going away it can do it. You can see that doing a water burnout as you drive out of the water.

Randy67
08-04-2011, 05:47 AM
You may want to consider rebuilding the posi. Top runners in F-stock with Mustangs would rebuild the factory posi twice a season. Granted the Mustangs stock diff is no where as good as the Moroso, but clutch discs do wear out. But like David and Skip said, figure out the suspension first and then go for the rebuild if needed.

What about the front sway bar? Maybe a little more front bar could help?