PDA

View Full Version : QA1 and Hotchkis parts don't fit-HELP

therobski
07-31-2011, 11:38 AM
Out in the 110 degree heat ( with a fan) I have a issue. My QA1 front shock #TC1958P will not fit into the shock hole on Hotchkis Lower control A-arm #1104B. The shock is a little to wide. This is for my 64 F-85 build. I double checked on line and these are the correct part numbers. It's Sunday can'48497t get anybody on the horn.

sebtarta
08-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Well I have the opposite issue, I have GW LCA and Hotchkis (Bilstein) shock.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

I spoke with Hotchkis, and they make the hole for the shocks for the stock size shocks. Global west, makes them so you can have a QA1 shock fit with no issues.

This is retarded at best if you tell me. I wish our LCA were for the same car because then we could swap them out :)

therobski
08-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Yes indeed. I bought these off a 66 Chevelle showcar, car never hit the street. I guess I will re-sell them. Should not be a problem I only have $75.00 apiece in them!

killer69
08-01-2011, 11:39 AM
mount the shock T bar on the inside of the control arm pocket.

sebtarta
08-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Wouldn't that raise the suspension by 1"?

therobski
08-01-2011, 12:36 PM
I thought about that, in fact the parts are here in front of me. If I set the shock down in the spring pocket and then set the coil insulator over it the coil insulator does not sit flat on the spring pocket. Thus the spring will not sit flat, Then if we did all this I will not be able to get my spring compressor in there to mount the arm,the shock is in the way. I could try the dangerous way and use my floor jack but this barely a rolling chassis there's not enough weight. That all said then if it all was in there, I cannot get a screw driver in between the coils to adjust the ride tension, the coil insulator is in the way. I called Bilstein their shock will fit. It's a bummer you discover these things after you shell the $$$ and the MFR. has no warning or disclaimer

ROBS6T8
08-02-2011, 05:59 AM
I had to open the shock opening on my stock lower control arms when I installed the Varishocks. I called Chassisworks and they told me there had to be a little fabrication involved! I wish I would have found this out before I had them powdercoated. Duh!

Hotchkis
08-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Out in the 110 degree heat ( with a fan) I have a issue. My QA1 front shock #TC1958P will not fit into the shock hole on Hotchkis Lower control A-arm #1104B. The shock is a little to wide. This is for my 64 F-85 build. I double checked on line and these are the correct part numbers. It's Sunday can'48497t get anybody on the horn.

TheRobski,

Sorry to hear you had a frustrating day in the shop. Unfortunately it’s not always feasible to make every part work with every possible combination of parts available in the aftermarket. Our geometry corrected tubular A-Arms are designed to improve handling and be a bolt-on with either our recommended Hotchkis tuned Bilstein HPS shocks, or other high-performance handling shocks like Koni. The TC1958P is a QA1 drag race shock designed specifically for stock suspension drag race classes, which is probably why you had a fitment problem. If its possible, you’d be better off going to a shock designed for handling if that’s your end goal – you’ll reap huge rewards in vehicle dynamics and control not to mention an easier installation.

therobski
08-03-2011, 05:45 AM
I called QA1 and they said that even with stock GM A-body A-arms the shock hole needed massaging. That's crazy in my book and to discover after the fact that they are not compatible with my new pair of Hotchkis A-arms. After spending the $$$$$ on these I will be calling Mark at Hotchkis and ordering the tuned Bilstein's and sell the QA1's.

John Wright
08-03-2011, 07:11 AM
That is a big shock body(compared to the stock original shock)....I would expect to have to open it up a little.

killer69
08-03-2011, 07:30 AM
Wouldn't that raise the suspension by 1"?

No it will shorten the shock travel by about 3/4" on compression and add 3/4 to the extention, (which could be a benifet if dragracing was the objective)but has no effect on the ride height as the spring has not changed.