PDA

View Full Version : Rear Coil Overs for G-Body

Tony_SS
07-30-2011, 03:47 AM
Since I did the disc brakes in the rear I had to relocate my shocks.. and I think that is giving me an extra 1" lift in the rear with my Hotchkis springs, so I'm looking for solutions.

I was thinking on going coil over to better adjust the ride height and get some shock adjustment too...

Any recommendations for a joe-tour street car? Brand and I'd like to know what spring rate I should go with... thx in advance.

exwestracer
07-30-2011, 04:06 AM
I read your comment on the build thread about clocking the springs. It's possible if the spring is only pigtailed on one end. If both ends are tapered it won't matter how you install it. I remember there being a small retainer clip that held the bottom of the spring to the axle perch but I can't recall the top.

I doubt the problem is the shocks, but to be sure you can disconnect them and set the car back on the ground and see if it is lower that way.

What type of bushing (material) is used in your UMI rear arms?

Tony_SS
07-30-2011, 05:02 AM
I tried about 50 ways last night with the coil springs and I even tried with an old set of lowering coils I had and no matter which way they went in I still had about 1.5" of lift back there.... I'm pretty sure the relocated angle of the shocks is giving it lift in the rear... I did set it w/o the shocks and it sits it a little lower

Poly in the UMI arms

I'm just over trying to guess with it... I want coilovers to set it and forget it.

exwestracer
07-30-2011, 02:10 PM
I tried about 50 ways last night with the coil springs and I even tried with an old set of lowering coils I had and no matter which way they went in I still had about 1.5" of lift back there.... I'm pretty sure the relocated angle of the shocks is giving it lift in the rear... I did set it w/o the shocks and it sits it a little lower

Poly in the UMI arms

I'm just over trying to guess with it... I want coilovers to set it and forget it.

If the spacers in the center of the link bushings are not long enough, tightening the bolts will bind the bushings and hold the car up. I found this exact problem on the rear of a C4 Corvette we were trying to set up for autocross. They had the rear bolts so tight that I finally disconnected the spring, and the car stayed at ride height. I'm not kidding...

From the photos, it looks like you had some droop when you installed the disc kit, so I'm not sure you have the same problem. If the shocks ARE holding it up 1.5", I'd say they're a little too stiff...