PDA

View Full Version : Now I have a case of the wobbles - Driveline Vibration

Tony_SS
07-29-2011, 09:15 AM
This is a pisser.. because on the way to get my exhaust done, I was just thinking to myself - the car is sooo nice and smooth doing 65 down the road.

When I pulled out of the shop, there is a steep curb, my rear tire caught my fender and bent it, and gouged the tire.

On the way home I noticed a vibration around 60mph. It fells like its from the rear of the car.. not in the steering wheel or anything.

My guess is I bent an axle. What does everyone think?

Here's a pic of the fender damage. It also took a good gash out of the tire... I don't know if that was enough to knock the tire out of balance???

Help

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/eb5-1.jpg

TT302Z28
07-29-2011, 10:49 AM
My bet is the tire is now out of balance. People slide cars into curbs to bend an axle. Maybe if you were at full throttle and it ripped off the whole quarter.

It's easy to take the tire to a shop and check rather than worry right!

Tony_SS
07-29-2011, 11:37 AM
My bet is the tire is now out of balance. People slide cars into curbs to bend an axle. Maybe if you were at full throttle and it ripped off the whole quarter.

It's easy to take the tire to a shop and check rather than worry right!

Yeah, that's a good place to start... Now If I could trust a tire shop around here to properly balance tires I'd be set...

Tony_SS
05-10-2012, 12:39 PM
I had the tire balanced and it's still the same...

Could this have damaged an axle bearing causing a vibration at 60+ mph?

Or could this have 'sprung' the driveshaft or a u-joint?

Josh
06-13-2012, 01:20 PM
I would put my money on something coming loose on the axle like a shock mount, leaf spring pad, etc..

sccacuda
06-14-2012, 04:47 AM
Did you have the wheel/tire roadforce balanced? That is the only way to know if the tire is damaged.

Tony_SS
06-14-2012, 06:03 AM
I would put my money on something coming loose on the axle like a shock mount, leaf spring pad, etc..
Everything is all snug back there.

Did you have the wheel/tire roadforce balanced? That is the only way to know if the tire is damaged.
I don't know. I will ask the shop. On another forum a member suggests that the tire could be damaged too.. and that it will still balance out to 0.

I was to throw on a different set of wheels/tires back there to test, but don't have a set.

SRD art
06-14-2012, 07:07 AM
Put the rear of the car on jack stands, chock the front tires, have your wife in the car ready to hit the brakes if needed, and let it run in gear. You'll know real quick if something is bent.

...I remember my first automotive job was in a tire shop and I was taught to check every tire for out of roundness, bent wheels etc. before spinning them on the machine. Then I actually took the time to balance it right instead of putting weight all over the wheel because I don't understand what the machine is trying to tell me. Kids that work in shops these days are lame. When I bought my little commuter last year I took it in for a vibration issue. They said all 4 tires were out of balance but now I was good to go. Took it for a drive and it was just as bad. Took it back and turns out all 4 tires were either separated or had funny wear issues. They didn't even bother to look to see if they spun smooth, and could've sold me a new set of tires if they had paid attention in the first place. I ended up taking my business elsewhere. Guess that's happening not just here huh?

sanman
06-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Get your hands on a Eastwood lip roller. Check out last months www.camaroperformers.com Check out the blue 67 Camaro supension overhaul in tech. The end of the story I used a lip roller. easy to use and will forever solve your problem with tire and lip clearence issues. My car by the way...