PDA

View Full Version : BMR Torque Arm and Shockwaves?

olblue51
07-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Hey everyone, I've used this forum quite a bit for info in the last few years but finally recently registered. So here goes my first post...

My '73 Camaro is a slow work in progress and I'm getting to the point of deciding what suspension to use. I'm seriously leaning towards the BMR torque arm setup w/ a 9" rearend.

My question is... Is anyone running this setup with Shockwaves from Air Ride?

I already have a set of 7000 series Shockwaves that I would like to use. Just wondering if there is enough room for them behind the mounts for the watts link.

It looks like it wouldn't be a problem since I don't believe the shockwaves are much wider than coilovers, if at all, but I'm not sure.

Thanks

marolf101x
07-25-2011, 03:37 AM
I cannot tell you with 100% certainty the Shockwaves will fit or not as we've never tried one in our shop.
However, it is pretty easy to measure (if you have the torque arm).

The 7000 Series Shockwave has a maximum inflated diameter of 4.0" (most coil over springs in the rate for a rear are around 3.5" diameter). So you measure from the center of the shock to the item that is the closest (rear end housing, watts link brackets, etc.) and make sure you have 2.25" from the center of the shock; 2 inches for the radius of the air spring and 1/4" for clearance.

Do you already have Shockwaves for the front? In the past few years we have really stepped up our game when it comes to shock absorbers. So if you put your old 7000 units on the rear, and purchase new Shockwaves for the front, the shock valving and performance will not match very well (if the shocks do not match). I always suggest to keep the same shock manufacturer front and rear as they are typically designed as a kit and therefor work together for the best ride quality and performance.

olblue51
07-25-2011, 06:12 AM
Thanks for the reply and measurement info. Hopefully someone with the torque arm can chime in with the clearance specs.

I do have a set of shockwaves for the front that I bought two or three years ago. They are still new in the box but they are also for my stock subframe. Now I'm considering using an aftermarket subframe so it might be a good time to upgrade. The 7000s that I bought for the rear were purchased around the same time as the fronts. I purchased them from a local hot rod shop that ended up not using them for a customers car. I have no idea how old they are.

The plan was to use my old shockwaves and then upgrade when the budget allows. A few years ago I was really moving along on this car until other things kept coming up to keep me away from the project. Now that I'm back into it there are so many more options available than before

marolf101x
07-25-2011, 06:34 AM
You have a solid plan in place. I say go ahead and run the older version Shockwaves for now if you get the torque arm. If the ride quality is not up to par you can always upgrade to the latest parts.