PDA

View Full Version : Balljoint taper & Monoball pins GM 2nd F body

JonRB
07-20-2011, 04:18 PM
I'm wanting to do up my suspension a little bit here, and I'm haveing a hard time insuring that I'm going to order the right parts.

What I have is a '78 Firebird, and I have the "B" car spindles for the 1LE swap; 18016024 & 18021052.

If this is subject is here somewhere - post me a link, cause I can't find in the search function.

Anyway, what I want to do, for the top BJ and possibly the bottom(budget allowing) Is install a monoball pin in the knuckle, use a high misalighnment monoball, and weld a monoball socket to the upper A-arm(the stock one).

There's one company called UB machine that sells monoball pins.
Link; http://www.ubmachine.com/balljointspins.html

The problem is, is that I'm totally lost on GM ball joint tapers. I want to make sure that I get the right ones before I order.

What would be the correct ones?

Is it OK that I use a 5/8 monoball on the top? Or should that also be a 3/4?

Has anyone else done this? Think it's OK that I just cut and weld the monoball socket to the upper A-arm? Or do you think I should go with one of those mono sockets with the upper balljoint flange welded to it and bolt it on? If I weld the socket directly to my Upper, I could index the socket. Where as if it's bolted, I cant, or I'd have to mod the A further.

Is there also any suggested way I could squeeze more castor adjustment out of my stock arms? I can pretty much cut and weld anything, and I have Affco steel upper bushings. Machine costs are a concern. And I don't really want to spend alot on the latest coolest tubular uppers right now, as it's not in my budget.

Searching bumpsteer solutions now

Thanks.

therobski
07-31-2011, 01:28 PM
I can help a little, B-spindle ball joints have a 2 inch per foot taper, A-spindle ball joints have a 1 1/2 inch per foot taper.