PDA

View Full Version : New rear end/minitub/suspension... 4link?

6D9 Matt
07-20-2011, 06:12 AM
In the fall/winter, I plan on beefing up the suspension and rear end (dropping in a big block next yr w/550-600 rwhp). I am going to be minitubbing the car at the same time I will be putting in this suspension and rear end (seemed logical). The car wont be doing any autoXing, and might make the drag strip once a year, if that. I also wont be adjusting the suspension that much I would think... get it to the ride height/feel I like and most likely just leave it there. It is mainly a cruiser. Right now the suspension is pretty much stock with monoleaf/air shock rear and a 10-bolt.

Here is are the two options I was looking at after searching around a bit:

1. DSE minitub KIT (tubs, 2-3" rear leafs, shackles, etc) - which I would also be purchasing new shocks as well as a narrowed fuel cell (im seeing is necessary with the rear leaf setup when installing minitubs). Then also a complete Moser 12-bolt rear end (33 spline, 3.73's, etc).

OR

2. Im hearing if I buy a Gbar or Quadralink, I wont have to get the narrowed fuel cell, and is actually a nicer ride than the rear leaf setup. I would also be going with the complete 12-bolt rear end on this option too. In this option, would I need the full minitub kit, or just maybe the deep tubs since the Gbar/Quad would be relocating my shocks?

Thanks and any input/advice would be great! I know Option 2 might be a little bit more money, but would it be worth it for the extra comfort in the ride/adjustability/handling/etc?

ProdigyCustoms
07-20-2011, 07:13 AM
I got your e mail and PM. I thought it best to answer here.

Option 2 is SO much a better choice. We have multiple 4 link and torque arm conversion that will allow you to adjust ride height, adjust ride quality, and yes you can use your stock tank which will save you $$$$ on a narrowed tank.

I cannot put into word the ride quality difference and equal or better handling.

I am not a guy that influences one to spend money they do not need to spend, quite the opposite if you follow my post I always try to preserve one cash where they can. This is one area one needs to spend the few more bucks. you will thank me.

dirtybird
07-20-2011, 07:48 AM
I was thinking of doing something similar in a year or so. So Frank, what about the minitubs, would he need the full kit?

ProdigyCustoms
07-20-2011, 07:49 AM
No, just tubs for $399 and the 4 link or torque arm of his choice.

1969CamaroRS
07-20-2011, 09:05 AM
I went the same route after talking with Frank (even got all the goodies from him). Mini-tubs only, G-Bar and Moser 12 bolt rear end. I actually went with a Rick's notched tank due wanting to run 3" exhaust (makes it a lot easier) all the way out the back. Not on the road yet, but so far been very happy with going that route. Being able to set the ride hide is very nice. The price difference for me was marginal even with a tank due to not needing the full mini-tub kit (needed a new rear end anyways).

6D9 Matt
07-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Yeah I see the 4link kits are something like $1,600+, but if you are saving on the minitub kit (about $850) plus the new tank (DSE = $800) then there is your difference right there.

So when it comes to each of the 4link/torque arm kits, which is most popular? Like I said, I dont need anything extreme... and dont want to cut too much or take away the back seat, etc. Sounds like the Speedtech kit or the Gbar would be best?

ProdigyCustoms
07-20-2011, 01:30 PM
The very easiest install is the Ride tech / Prodigy Bar. Bolts into the body, and we have bolt in rears available. Second easiest would be the G Link and Speedtech kits both are easy to install and require some welding.

6D9 Matt
07-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Could you explain some of the differences/pros/cons between the Prodigy Bar and the Glink/Speedtech kit?

Could you post or PM me pricing for each of those kits?

GaRys69
07-20-2011, 01:43 PM
Could you explain some of the differences/pros/cons between the Prodigy Bar and the Glink/Speedtech kit?

Yes X2

6D9 Matt
07-25-2011, 01:42 PM
x3

:)

ProdigyCustoms
07-25-2011, 03:27 PM

Could you post or PM me pricing for each of those kits?

OK, s the 4 links are a totally different suspension system then the torque arms. No real cons to any of the kits listed here. All great suspensions, we sell all with pride and confidence.

4 links are more popular but torque arms conversions are relatively new. Keep in mind Triangle 4 links and Torque Arms are all used on OEM cars.

All 3 suspension systems ride really great especially compared to lowered leafs. Why? Because with coil overs your adjusting ride height by relocating shock mounting position instead of with leaf springs flattening springs and making them stiffer, so with coil overs you can alter the ride height without increasing spring rate

The Ride tech 4 link is the easiest to install because it is a bolt in. Add one of our ready to bolt in rears and it is the only true bolt in system of all quality 4 links available. Both the G Link and SpeedTech TA both require no fabrication and easy welding.

The Ride Tech 4 link has a good percentage of anti squat for handling and still providing a lot of forward bite. The G link has almost identical geometry in base setting as the Ride tech 4 link but offers additional Anti Squat adjustment for those looking to drag race a little more seriously. So it is a true multi purpose suspension. I have not seen the hard numbers on the SpeedTech Torque Arm, but typically Torque arms will have less anti squat in the handling position then a Triangle 4 link.

In the end, there is no WRONG choice. In ride they are very equal. In performance they are so close I really think it comes down to driver in many cases. Cost is almost the same across the board all falling in the $2k range.

So I hoped this settled the question once and for all! LOL!

coolwelder62
07-25-2011, 06:30 PM
My son Kevin has the Ride Tech 4-link in his 69 camaro,W/ ride-tech triple ajustable coil over's.Work's awesome.Super simple to install.

6D9 Matt
07-25-2011, 06:39 PM
So let me get this straight... bc this is my situation. If I go with a suspension kit such as the RideTech 4-link, will I ONLY need the deep tubs from DSE, and not the kit ($850 difference)?

Also, will I have to get a modified/narrow tank, even if i dump my exhaust after the mufflers? Id like to keep tailpipes, but if it means maybe being able to keep the stock tank (save $$$) then I may just keep the stock one and dump the exhaust.