PDA

View Full Version : Side play 8.5 10-bolt with Tru-Trac

Randy67
07-18-2011, 06:30 AM
I need some ideas on how to remove the side-to-side play in the axles in my 10-bolt, car is an 81 Camaro. I put a Tru-Trac diff in it and have just under 1/8" play total (between 1/16 and 1/8" best I can tell). The spacer between the axles is the same width as the stock differential pin was, stock diff barely had any play. Probably need a good 1/16" spacer to take up most of the play. Looks like there are a few options to fix it.
1. Add a spacer to the side of the spacer in the middle. Problem is I need some way to keep it there. Maybe welding a hardened washer to it, but not sure how well this would work. If it did work it would be the easiest to do (won't have to take the axle back apart).
2. Have a spacer made that is thicker, not my favorite option.
3. Either find thicker C-Clips (about 1/32" thicker should work) which don't seem to exist or add thin spacers/washers to c-clips. Not sure how well that would work out.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. Just in case someone hasn't seen a tru-trac, it doesn't have a traditional pin like most diffs do, it just has a spacer between the axles with a plug that keeps it in place. You can see the spacer and plug on the bottom right of this image.
http://www.diffsonly.com/catalog/images/images_big/truetrac.jpg

Randy67
07-18-2011, 06:31 AM
Opps, I meant to put this in General Driveline. If a mod could move it that would be great, thanks.