PDA

View Full Version : Axle spline slop in Detroit Tru-Trac?

rwhite_692
07-17-2011, 08:37 AM
A question, this is the first 9-inch rear I have owned which is being assembled by me, so this is new territory for me.

So I have my DSE-supplied (Moser built) quadralink rearend mocked up in the car and am a bit concerned about what I (at first) thought was an excessive amount of backlash in the gearset, but what I now believe is actually "slop" between the detroit trutrac's female splines and the axle's splines. The amount of rotational slop is about the same on both sides. Is this normal? I'm leaning towards "no", but maybe someone here has some good input.

I shot a short vid of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlyXKjef-10

chicane67
07-17-2011, 12:41 PM
What you are displaying is a cumulative amount of gear lash... ring and pinion + side and planetary gear + axle shaft... and this is normal.

rwhite_692
07-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Thanks Tom. I tried to detect (I guess I should say, isolate) the amount of play only occurring between the tru-trac and the axles (putting one hand on the pinion and the other @the axle....It does seem like quite a bit. Certainly a LOT more than any GM rear I've ever had.

But from what I gather, this has been observed by several folks with this setup and did not result in any problems.

It is hard for me to to believe that the rearend won't make a noticeable "klunk" as soon as power is applied to the pinion from a stop, though. We'll see....

Henesian
07-18-2011, 01:57 PM
3 words: "Dude, that's nothing."