PDA

View Full Version : Hot rods to hell front lower control arms 1st gen camaro

senor_camaro
07-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Has anybody mixed and matched a set of lower hot rod to hell front lower control arms with a set of global west or similar upper control arms?

I see the only difference is that they are square tubing and the spring location has been moved an inch closer to the balljoint. I was wondering if anybody noticed a difference compared to a full set of lower and upper brand control arms.

geberhard
05-17-2012, 06:37 PM
old thread but wondering the same thing...

DippedInSauce
05-17-2012, 09:19 PM
I have hotrodstohell lowers on my 68. I'm using spc adjustable uppers. It's hands down the best combo if you are using stock sub frame. I initially had Hotchkis arms supplied by my insurance company after my nube Fatman arms failed. The Hotchkis arms made my car handle like a boat. Total crap. Tubular versions of my stamped stock arms. I removed them after 300 miles of $hitty handling. (and a faulty Hotchkis leaf spring that snapped in half) The hotrod arms are the one of the only lower arms that give a valuable geometry advantage. However they work best with an adjustable upper arm. I've had them for the past 12,000ilea and LOVE them. Steve at hotrodstohell is a legit guy.

Mkelcy
05-18-2012, 06:25 AM
I have hotrodstohell lowers on my 68. I'm using spc adjustable uppers. It's hands down the best combo if you are using stock sub frame. I initially had Hotchkis arms supplied by my insurance company after my nube Fatman arms failed. The Hotchkis arms made my car handle like a boat. Total crap. Tubular versions of my stamped stock arms. I removed them after 300 miles of $hitty handling. (and a faulty Hotchkis leaf spring that snapped in half) The hotrod arms are the one of the only lower arms that give a valuable geometry advantage. However they work best with an adjustable upper arm. I've had them for the past 12,000ilea and LOVE them. Steve at hotrodstohell is a legit guy.

What is the geometry advantage?

SLO_Z28
05-18-2012, 07:18 AM

Alright, im calling you out. Pictures of the failed Fatman arms, and the failed Leaf Springs youve been touting all over the place.

AS to the OP there is no real down side to running different upper and lower arms. Some arms like the Hotchkis and PTFB arms will compliment each other, I know both of those brands have additional caster and camber built in to the arms which will help center the wheel in the fender (caster) and offset upper control arm shafts can help you dial in camber while maintaining header clearance. Hot Rods TO Hell makes decent stuff, they move the springs on their arms and im not sure of that's a good thing or not. I know the Big Bar / Soft Spring theory they use is pretty old school, and not necessarily the best for modern tires.

Tom Welch
05-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Do I hear crickets???

geberhard
07-25-2012, 09:41 AM
What about the hot rod to hell lowers with stock uppers? I have a set of lowers I was going to use on my ride with Global West uppers, but since I am going with Ridetech's air ride setup fornt, the mounts will not work on these unless I do some severe franksteining. So plan is on vert 6 Ridetech with GW uppers and stock lowers, and the Hot rod to hell lowers and stock uppers on a ls Camaro. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Gui