PDA

View Full Version : Tire clearance to inner fender

joeelutz
07-06-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm working on a 67 Camaro with DSE mini tubs installed. I just ordered the Speedtech torque arm suspension, but I do not have wheels and tires to mock up yet, so I'm working out the math to give Roger the rear end housing width I need. I measured 41.75" inner fender to inner fender. So if my math is right with a 335 tire, 11" wheel, 4.5" bs, and 53.5" rear end width (wheel mounting surfaces), I should have about 3/4" clearance from the tire side to the inner fender on each side. Does that sound like enough with the torque arm suspension?

How about outer tire to lip clearance? With the outward bow of the wheel opeining at the top, where is the safe place to measure the wheel lip to tire clearance?

64impala
07-07-2011, 06:49 AM
I'm working on a 67 Camaro with DSE mini tubs installed. I just ordered the Speedtech torque arm suspension, but I do not have wheels and tires to mock up yet, so I'm working out the math to give Roger the rear end housing width I need. I measured 41.75" inner fender to inner fender. So if my math is right with a 335 tire, 11" wheel, 4.5" bs, and 53.5" rear end width (wheel mounting surfaces), I should have about 3/4" clearance from the tire side to the inner fender on each side. Does that sound like enough with the torque arm suspension?

How about outer tire to lip clearance? With the outward bow of the wheel opeining at the top, where is the safe place to measure the wheel lip to tire clearance?

I would Highly recommend purchasing a Wheel Rite fitment tool. Takes all the guess work out and the work wonders for you dilema. Good Luck

Vegas69
07-07-2011, 07:18 AM
Wheels first, unless you want to cheat and end up with a wheel spacer.

PARKERRS
07-07-2011, 08:44 AM

I'll second this! All of my mathematics worked out right, but after mounting the rear and the wheels I needed a 1/2" spacer to get what I wanted clearance wise.

davidk68
07-08-2011, 09:08 AM
If you call DSE, they have the numbers you want for rear end width and backspacing. Lord knows they've done enough of them. Also, I think most people run the 335 tire on a 12" wheel and a 315 tire on an 11" wheel. Don't forget the rear end disc/drum in your calculations. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

silver69camaro
07-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Drawing up your setup in CAD shows a 43-15/16 inner tire bulge width, and a outer width of 70-13/16" assuming a 13.5" section width (this can vary a bit). The inner bulge width should be just fine, but check the outer width. Some cars can by 3/4" wider than others depending on who put the quarters on. I try to keep the outer bulge width at 70" if possible.

TheJDMan
07-08-2011, 01:35 PM

I also agree with this. I was told by a knowlegable vendor I needed a 56" axle. I decided to wait till I received my wheels/tires. Once I got my wheels mocked in place it turned out I actually needed a 57" axle. By mocking up the build with your actual wheels/tires you won't have to guess or to run spacers once you build the rear axle.

daredvl22
07-09-2011, 05:58 AM
I was faced with the same dilemma. I had my wheels custom made with my perfect BS, width, etc. I knew that I needed to build the rear end anyway and wanted to make sure the length was spot on. So, I spent about $15 at Lowes and built a cheap "mock up" rear axle. I used a 2" wooden closet rod and cut a few 6" circles out of fiber board as my backing plate. I drilled a few holes, ran some 1/2" bolts through the back side and whalla! I bolted my wheels to the whole set up and placed it under the car. I cut off about 1/2" at a time and put it all back together until I had the perfect spacing within the rear fender wells. It took a little time, but well it was worth the extra security of knowing exactly how long my rear end needs to be flange-to-flange. Anyway, it worked for me. I'll let you know how the final product fits once Moser is finished, maybe anthoner 1-2 weeks. :)

joeelutz
11-05-2011, 05:30 AM
Ok, I have the rear axle, brakes, suspension in place and I have a Wheel Rite. My question is still how much clearance from sidewall to inner fender should I allow for suspension roll.
With the springs out, and car on the lift, I can manually roll the suspension enough to make a 315 tire to just touch the inner fender with 1" static clearance to inner fender, but maybe that is at much more extreme of a roll angle than I would ever actually see and I would like to run larger than 315 tires, so would .75" static clearance work?