PDA

View Full Version : Lowered 1st Gen F-body: How much up-travel left up front?

MyFriendScott
07-05-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm getting ready to install new Hotchkis springs from the TVS system in my '67. I don't think the car is at stock ride height currently however so I was hoping to get some measurements from other 1st gen owners on how much uptravel they have at ride height after lowering the car.

I snapped this pic to assist if my description is just outright confusing. I measured about 1 3/4" between the LCA and the stock bump stop on the frame. You can see the rubber bump stop between the coil and sway bar end link. I thought I might be able to get an idea of how much the car is already lowered by comparing this same distance on known coil spring lowering kits.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/frontsuspension-1.jpg

The rear of the car is definitely lowered using a 1" block and the car sits pretty flat. Here's the rear spring with block in it. I swear it feels like stone or concrete, doesn't look like aluminum.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/07/rearsuspension-1.jpg

MrQuick
07-05-2011, 10:15 PM
the front is pretty similar to what I had with 1.5 in drop springs. The coils look close and a bit beefier.

The rear block is aluminum, AL tends to look that way after sitting on steel for 5+ years...if not take it out and use it to sharpen your knives.

MyFriendScott
07-06-2011, 05:15 AM
I was able to find some reference measurements from the center of the hub to the fender lip online last night (was up way too late). Based on the info, it seems the coil springs in the car now lowered it by 1.5". I guess I can expect another .5" drop with the Hotchkis springs on order. The lower ball joint boot is toast, it's spread open like a spent shotgun shell. I do have a spare set of factory control arms with new bushings and ball joints ready to go (came with the purchase of the car).

rchaskin
07-06-2011, 05:28 AM
I have a 71 Nova, but the dims should be close.

I have DSE 2" drop springs, & DSE Upper & Lower control arms.

I have right around an inch between the LCA & bumpstop.
The car is really low. I have about 2-3/4" from the drivers header to the ground.

frojoe
07-12-2011, 10:25 AM
I have a 71 Nova, but the dims should be close.

I have DSE 2" drop springs, & DSE Upper & Lower control arms.

I have right around an inch between the LCA & bumpstop.
The car is really low. I have about 2-3/4" from the drivers header to the ground.

Would you be able to take measurements of your subframe-to-ground distance as well as the distances of the front/rear fender lips to ground? Just want to compare to what mine will end up being. Also any pics of the ride height?

Cheers,
Joe