PDA

View Full Version : UNISTEER..errrr

camarobigblock
07-04-2011, 03:01 PM
I am at the end of my rope with this front end. I have a big block 1969 camaro. I have heidt's upper and lower control arms, and QA1 coil-overs.
I cant keep the toe in spec and the steering seems to bind. I have aligned the car a few times with a few different specs for cross toe and toe in. The problem is really 2 in one.... the steering feels real notch-y and the after driving the car a short distance the toe is off again but the camber, caster or ride height doesn't change. Has anyone run into this before?? Unisteer seems to be the only company that mounts to the rear of of the subframe. I have had nothing but problems with this system from oil pan clearance to header clearance! any input before I give up and trash this kit??? Thank you in advance!!!

killer69
07-04-2011, 08:39 PM
the key to the unisteer is "phasing" the u joint at about 45Deg we have done many and it you start at 45 and then try it you can get it so that is is NOT notchie at all. one other thing we have found is that after you drive it a bit just loosen the clamp bolts on the ujoints and then tighten them sagin. seems to remove any bind.
as for the Toe i have 2000 hard miles on my Nova and it has never changed, how much of a change are you seeing? unless the jam nuts are not tight (which i highly doubt) it would be really hard to change, and what way is it changing is it movig to Toe in or out??
We have only seen oil pan clearance on the 502.and GM 572 oil pans that have the second drop in the pan all others fit.
we make a set of headers that fit the unisteer and a 2 joint shaft. i don't think ANYONE else does.

camarobigblock
07-05-2011, 07:10 AM
I will have to play around with the phase of the u joints. I dont think I have much in terms of phase cuase of the shaft fits only one way (its a dd shaft). I have rechecked everthing as far as bumpsteer, it toes in almost a full degree. Very noticably and tire screech is noticable. Its equal amout of bumpsteer on both sides. I have checked the control arms and everything as far as suspension. The ride height doesn't change either does caster or camber. Its very strange. I purchased the kit a few years back and have had things come up preventing me from installing it.
I was reading a tread about shaving the bushing the rack mounts to 22 degreees to tip the rack back a bit to not have the u-joint at such an angle. What is your thoughts? playing with the phase of the joints?
I used 2 joints, custom made malodine oil pan and custom headers to clear with no interference.
The binding apears to be the u joints from what in reading...just not sure how to fix that. may be related to the bumpsteer if the rack is binding (in theory)
Thanks for the reply!!

killer69
07-05-2011, 07:51 AM
as far as phasing the ujoints, Unisteer shaft kits supply u joints that have 9/16-30 to 1"-48 joint,for the steering column the shaft is then 9/16- 30 one one end and 3/4 dd on the other. the 9/16 joint is where you adjust the phasing. if you have 2 dd joints i would suggest getting one 9/16 and a peice of shaft. that will cure that problem.
the binding has noting to do with the bump steer.
whan you say it toes in 1 deg over what length of travel is that? starting at ride height
what are you statically setting your toe at?
you cant shave the bushings as then the bolt will not go through the rack and the lca.

Oh the tire screaching........... that is an indication that you might want to slow down!!! lol JK

camarobigblock
07-05-2011, 08:07 AM
HAHAHA tire screeching is coming from the front..promise!! The toe is set static at -.02 deg. Shaving the bushing was justa thought I didnt think it would acually work in this situation. I will check the phase of the u joints when i get home. I am not sure why the toe changes after driving a bit...One bite at a time i guess.
Thanks

killer69
07-05-2011, 01:37 PM
so .1 degree is approximately .040" thou .02 degrees "Should" be equal to almost ZERO or .008" if my math is correct. are you sure it is .02 DEGREES and not .02 inches? .02 degrees i would be surprised you could measure that consistantly. even rollong the car on the hoist slightly differently "Could" change the toe measurement when the measurement is that small. even the slightest change in ride height woudl make that change ie if you sat in the car and then got out and it didn't return to EXACTLY that same height.???
migth want to doulble check with your alignment guy, we would normally align a 69 to 1/8" total toe in or .125" a big differance to .02

camarobigblock
07-05-2011, 02:38 PM
I will check my spec sheet for the alignment. I was speaking of the top of my head, I dont have the paperwork in front of me. I believe you are right the alignment was from unisteer and it was -1/8 degree...but I will double check when I get home. I know there was a change..significant after the car is driven neg toe.

camarobigblock
07-05-2011, 06:04 PM
The spec that was set to was 4.5 deg caster, -1/2 degree neg camber, and -1/8 toe in. Is there another spec I should use or try?? I am going to look at the phasing of the joints when I get it back on the lift. Thanks for or help!!
By the way the car has upper and lower heidts control arms lowered a bit on QA1 coilovers, baer brakes and 17" torque thrust wheels with 225/45 on the front. if that helps narrow down the alignement specs

Vegas69
07-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Unless you plan on driving this thing a boat load of miles, set your toe at 1/16-1/8 toe in and forget it.

MrQuick
07-05-2011, 10:22 PM
...just wanted to add to make sure your rack and rack bracket hardware is properly tightened.

killer69
07-06-2011, 06:57 AM
...just wanted to add to make sure your rack and rack bracket hardware is properly tightened.

good point, altho it should not change the actual toe measurement.
your alignment specs are good, would not change a thing,
so it looks like you are using inches and not Degrees to get the numbers
i would just drive it. and keep an eye on the tire wear.