PDA

View Full Version : Shock of Choice with Hotchkis TVS?

MyFriendScott
07-04-2011, 01:41 PM
What shocks are you guys running with the Hotchkis TVS system? Does Hotchkis have a recommended shock for their system? Thanks in advance.

robertjra
07-04-2011, 01:43 PM
bilstein is what they use i think

dhutton
07-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Hotchkis sells Bilstein shocks custom valved for their application.

MyFriendScott
07-05-2011, 05:15 AM
I figured the shocks they matched with their spring rates wouldn't be "off the shelf". Looks like the Bilsteins are a "HPS 1000" model with some tuning. Probably the least amount of headache to just go with those. Are there other shocks out there with a valving that is comparable? Buying an adjustable shock and having to use the firmest setting all the time seems like a waste.

66SuperSport
07-05-2011, 09:42 AM
I would highly recommend you go with the tuned Hotchkis/Bilstein shocks. Carl Casanova runs these and his car rides awesome and handled right there with the best of them at Optima.

MyFriendScott
07-05-2011, 10:36 AM
I would highly recommend you go with the tuned Hotchkis/Bilstein shocks. Carl Casanova runs these and his car rides awesome and handled right there with the best of them at Optima.

That's the plan. I can certainly appreciate any manufacturer that has designed the system to work together, and from what I've read around here is that other shocks aren't cutting the mustard when people have installed the front/rear springs used in the TVS system.

TheBandit
07-05-2011, 10:54 AM

Doesn't Carl run stiffer springs than the TVS system? TVS for Camaro/Nova uses 600lb/in springs and if I recal from Carl's site he runs 700lb/in. I could certainly be very wrong though.

Hotchkis
07-07-2011, 12:04 PM
I figured the shocks they matched with their spring rates wouldn't be "off the shelf". Looks like the Bilsteins are a "HPS 1000" model with some tuning. Probably the least amount of headache to just go with those. Are there other shocks out there with a valving that is comparable? Buying an adjustable shock and having to use the firmest setting all the time seems like a waste.

MyFriendScott – Our HPS1000 shocks are tuned specifically to get the most out of our suspension designs but work great with other springs and sway bars too. We just wanted to offer the best bang for the buck and the best valving to work with our product design. We’ve had many customers switching from adjustable shocks to our HPS1000’s with greater success.

Carl Casanova’s springs are the ones that came in the TVS kit.

http://www.superchevy.com/features/camaro/sucp_1103_hotchkis_1968_chevrolet_camaro/index.html

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/02/sucp_1103_09_o1968_chevrolet_camarodrive-1.jpg