PDA

View Full Version : Earls blue power steering line and fittings?

wmhjr
07-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Guys, I'm using -6AN Earls blue power steering line (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-131006ERL/) and fittings to make some lines for my Lee Dry P-pump and remote reservoir. I've never used this stuff before. The fittings I'm using are these things (in 45, straight and 90s) (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-134606ERL/)

Is there some trick to these friggin things? For the single -10AN line from the reservoir to the pump I used Fragola stuff, and had no issues. I've spent over an hour trying to get a single piece of -6AN into the fitting but that darned blue nylon just bunches up inside and I have not been successful. What a massive PITA.

Any suggestions?

MrQuick
07-04-2011, 12:06 PM
earl's is always been a pita. aeroquip never had issues

wmhjr
07-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Yeah, unfortunately nobody had aeroquip in the sizes/bends I needed in time. I'm about ready to chuck this whole mess.

wmhjr
07-04-2011, 12:16 PM
And nobody had Fragola in what I needed in the -6AN sizes. Only friggin Earls.

MrQuick
07-04-2011, 12:19 PM
that sucks i know....are you using lube? make sure its synthetic. petroleum based may cause the hose to swell.

wmhjr
07-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Yeah, like an idiot I'm even using the friggin Earls lube. Earls hose (rebadged Parker), Earls lube, earls fittings, earls sucks.

wmhjr
07-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Arg. OK, so I'll fess up.

Earls doesn't suck, except for their documentation - or lack thereof.

I didn't notice that the inside of the Earls fitting was threaded LEFT hand threads for the hose to thread into. And it wasn't documented anywhere. After doing a bunch of looking around, I found the Aeroquip site which had some instructions and mentioned the left hand threads. Umm. That worked. :hand:

So, sorry Earls. Sometimes I just do stupid crap. Some days it's amazing I can find my way out of bed in the morning. I got one of the -6AN lines done. Now I'm out of time so I'll have to finish another time with the last line.