PDA

View Full Version : Suspension travel limit strap?

TheJDMan
07-02-2011, 04:01 PM
I have completed my conversion to all coilover shock suspenson. I installed a DSE subframe and G-Link 4 link rear. The thing I have noticed is when I jack the car up and take the weight off the springs the spring retainers tend to come unseated once the suspension travels beyond the spring length. I know they use tiedown straps in off road racing to limit suspension over extension presumably to keep the springs from coming loose. I am wondering if anyone who is running coilover suspension on the streed is having any issues with the springs coming loose when the suspension comes unloaded.

Hunter68
07-03-2011, 07:48 AM
they actually use limit straps in off road racing i they need them because they use up to 16 inch coilovers, they do this so the shock doesnt blow out. your spring shouldnt be becoming unseated just because you jack it up you may need to tighten your preload so its tight and make sure the jam preload is tight as well

Bryce
07-03-2011, 08:24 AM
I use front suspension limiters on the front of my drag car. That way the shock doesnt see the loads from repetitive launchs with the wheels off the ground!

Lowered cars with high spring rates will likely have no preload on the spring at full droop. Adding preload will raise the car. So you can go to a shorter shock (this would be my choice) or run a suspension limiter.

David Pozzi
07-03-2011, 08:35 AM
There are tender springs you can add. But as long as the spring would not get jammed or the spring seat fall out if place, it may not be necessary to do anything at all.

monteboy84
07-05-2011, 07:01 AM
they actually use limit straps in off road racing i they need them because they use up to 16 inch coilovers, they do this so the shock doesnt blow out. your spring shouldnt be becoming unseated just because you jack it up you may need to tighten your preload so its tight and make sure the jam preload is tight as well

This most certainly can happen, it does on the rear of my car because of my shock length versus the free height of my springs. If he or I were to tighten the preload to keep the spring in place, the car would sit too high.

-matt