PDA

View Full Version : chevelle front end needs to come DOWN!

chevelle71
06-30-2011, 06:35 AM
Trying to figure out what the best way to get my front end down. It has a 1 drop springs currently but it doesnt evn come close to being where Id like it. Just installed the new wheels and it shows even more how high it is. From the bottom of the fender to the top of the wheel is about 2 inches and to the rim is a full 5. I dont want it so low that I have to worry about steering rub on the fender and dont want the cost of air bags. Tire size is 245 45 18. Thanks for the help and here is a link with the pics.

http://www.c2all.com/pictureshare/default.asp?ID=2589-100053.104

dhutton
06-30-2011, 07:26 AM
SPC lower arms allow you to adjust the height with spring pocket shims. They will allow you to go lower than you would ever want. Not sure if you would need the uppers or not to go with them. Give SC&C a call.

mplecha
06-30-2011, 09:17 AM
I'll second the spc arms. The arms dropped my car 2" before I added the sping cup spacers. Now would be the time to do the whole front end. I couldn't believe trhe difference the SPC setup I got from Marcus at SC&C made.

teamplex65
06-30-2011, 10:47 AM
What about these?

http://www.p-s-t.com/pc-823-25-chevrolet-2-drop-spindles-chevelle-1964-72.aspx

The Chevelle has Disc Brakes right? That is the only requirement.

507caddy
06-30-2011, 03:55 PM
tall ball joints on the lowers will give you a little and improve your geometry

mplecha
06-30-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm not sure you can use tall ball joints in factory control arms.

The WidowMaker
06-30-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm not sure you can use tall ball joints in factory control arms.

in the bottom for sure. maybe somebody else knows about the tops, although i dont think its possible.

bsharpe
06-30-2011, 06:02 PM
in the bottom for sure. maybe somebody else knows about the tops, although i dont think its possible.
They will work with the stock uppers. Mark explains it in the faq on his website http://WWW.scandc.com

I agree with everyone else. You need to upgrade the geometry which will lower the front more. I am using powerperformance tall ball joints and spc adjustable uppers. Great results for a reasonable price.

shep
06-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Depending on what else you have going for the suspension, you could use circle track springs and adjustable shims to dial it in where you want it. 9x5 inch Springs are between 30 and 60 each and a pair of adjustable shims is around 50. If your front end is all stock I would highly recommend calling Marcus at SC&C and getting at least his stage 2+ kit it will work with the stock lowers and stock spindle depending on options the stage 2+ kit is around $750, Just his lower control arms are around $500, they do correct some geometry problems so are better than most of the other stuff available.

The WidowMaker
07-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Depending on what else you have going for the suspension, you could use circle track springs and adjustable shims to dial it in where you want it. 9x5 inch Springs are between 30 and 60 each and a pair of adjustable shims is around 50.

great idea, unless you are using a larger diameter aftermarket shock. my kyb's would clear, the varishocks were rubbing. i ended up making my own spacers.

chevelle71
07-02-2011, 05:57 AM
Im trying to look through and see what everyone has for ideas. Will the upper control arms get me a full 2inches? With the spindle option would it get me what I want or more work after they are installed? Im not going to auto cross or a race car just a great family driver! All bushings and springs and shocks are new 2K miles ago. Am I missing something big with only spending around $300 on spindles and not spending $750 on upper control arms and ball joints. If the spindles are an option what ones should i be looking at for quality? Thanks for all the info so far keep it comming. And have a great 4th weekend!

shep
07-02-2011, 06:44 PM
AFX or L&H spindle are the only ones that don't make the geometry worse. Neither are cheap, the SC&C kit is less and the performance is as close as you can get with stock spindles. Since you just rebuilt the front end and don't plan to do much except cruise the springs and adjusters are a cheap easy and safe way to get the car lower.