PDA

View Full Version : 1967 Nova Sedan, rear suspension

kadettcqp
06-28-2011, 11:45 PM
I will within the next month or to be purchasing shocks and sway-bar for my 67 Nova sedan, but even after looking for quite some time i have not been able to find exactly what I am looking for.

The car has a mini tub and is sitting on a single-leaf spring, which is running inside a "slider". I have mounted the sliders but i have not purchased the springs, they came with the car when I got it, I therefore have no idea about the rate of these springs. They however, mounted without shocks, seems quite soft. I therefore suspect that I would need a rather "hard" shock to stiffen up the suspension.
The car will be used primarily on road but will both see track and drag use. I can live with a very stiff suspension, but would hate to have it too sloppy. Can anyone point me in the direction as to what I should be looking at, that is not only a drag-shock and that could help stiffen up the rear suspension?

Secondly I would need to look for some kind of universal rear sway-bar since the car has a mini tub I would suspect that standard 67 Nova sway-bars would no longer fit?

speedy79
07-26-2011, 06:44 PM
I will within the next month or to be purchasing shocks and sway-bar for my 67 Nova sedan, but even after looking for quite some time i have not been able to find exactly what I am looking for.

The car has a mini tub and is sitting on a single-leaf spring, which is running inside a "slider". I have mounted the sliders but i have not purchased the springs, they came with the car when I got it, I therefore have no idea about the rate of these springs. They however, mounted without shocks, seems quite soft. I therefore suspect that I would need a rather "hard" shock to stiffen up the suspension.

Shocks DO NOT support the car. Springs hold the weight of the car and how much it moves, the shock controls the timing or rate at which the suspension moves and dampening of the suspension movement. A "harder" shock is not a remedy for too soft of springs.

exwestracer
07-28-2011, 08:01 AM
Shocks DO NOT support the car. Springs hold the weight of the car and how much it moves, the shock controls the timing or rate at which the suspension moves and dampening of the suspension movement. A "harder" shock is not a remedy for too soft of springs.

As long as the car is at a reasonable ride height with a typical load on board (passenger, fuel, etc.) you don't need stiffer springs. The shock WILL slow down the motion of the suspension in both bump and roll conditions. The sway bar will limit roll without making the ride stiffer.

I would figure out how much room you have for a sway bar in the rear, and consider a 3 piece competition bar setup. That way you can change bar rates to suit the handling you are trying to achieve, without having to change the whole assembly.

You say the car is on "sliders" in the rear... Is there still a center bolt locating the axle to the spring, or some other type of linkage between the axle and chassis? I ask because too soft a monoleaf WILL allow a lot of axle wrap under acceleration and heavy braking if there is no other linkage in the system.