PDA

View Full Version : older air ride tech shockwave question

chumscustoms
06-25-2011, 03:58 PM
i bought some older shockwaves that were suppose to be for a s10 i didnt care what they were for cause i am making them work for my situation.
they are a single adjustable qa1 shock that has a threaded shock housing.
the ride tech billet aluminum pieces that hold and seal the air shock surround this threaded shock.
I can see about 2 inches of threads on the shock and i would like to thread that up in the air bags further if possible. My shockwave only travels about 2 in. at the moment and i would preffer a little more travel and i think that if it was threaded in more it would allow a little more travel
I could be wrong but it looks that way and when it is deflated it is bottoming out on the chock it appears
any help would be great
thanks
ben

marolf101x
06-26-2011, 07:08 AM
If the air spring is in the same location as when it left our building you should not move the air spring. It is set so the air spring ride height and the shock ride height are synchronized. If you change it you may suffer ride quality issues. If you need a longer stroke you need a different shockwave (or change the motion ratio to match the unit you have).

JRouche
06-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Hey Ben, you already got the info from ART. But Im curious about the shockwaves you have. It almost sounds like a QA1 coil over shock with an air spring and not a coil spring. Not sure if ART ever had a setup like that, Ive never seen one. Id love to see a pic of it. The travel is usually set with the length of the shock rod and set at a limit that will keep the spring from over extending. The air bag (the spring) has a set amount of travel Im sure. So the builders of the units use shocks that will keep within the limits of the bag travel. I gotta say, 2 inches of travel isnt gonna do much. Maybe its not an ART unit so if we can see the "shockwave" we might see if its something that can be adjusted. After all, why would they use a threaded shock housing right? JR

darren@ridetech
06-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Yep... sounds like an old school shockwave. We used QA1 way back in the day. The bottom of the bellow does thread onto the shock body, but this is for attachment purposes only. Turn it fully clockwise until it stops. Turning it counterclockwise will not affect the overall travel.