PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Guys!

wmhjr
06-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Hey, as a "first timer" at one of the Pro-Touring events, I just wanted to make sure I showed my appreciation for what I think is a uniquely high quality group of people. I've done bunches of track days (with "normal" cars like BMWs), spent time on the drag strip, etc - yet I've never seen such a group of people with varied interests and an honest willingness to help each other out. Words can't describe it. Randy Bell was awesome in my co-pilot seat giving me some tips on Gingerman - too bad we didn't have more time. And rather than just beating me up, he was laughing and enjoying himself the entire session. I think part of it was because he was a little messed up not having a roof over hime and a cage bar in the middle of the windshield. After my first Autox run, Chris Jacobs - who I had never met before - comes running over and gives me a couple tips (which I used) that helped see my times consistently get faster as the day went on. The Pontiac has never been on a road or autox before, just put new varishocks, rear sway bar and front brakes on with no seat time whatsoever. Took a stab at suspension settings but no testing. I was really intimidated at the idea of slewing the big red barge around the courses but thanks to guys like Matt, Randy, Vinny, Chris, Imran, Dan Swanson, Rubens, Ron S and a whole bunch of guys for welcoming a newbie.

For anyone who hasn't come and is a little intimidated by the quality and experience of the "regulars", don't walk - RUN to sign up for the next event. Bill Howell has these things put together right and the group is awesome.

Ron S
06-22-2011, 02:29 PM
It was really good meeting you also, I can't beleive you weren't more apprehensive about leanning on a car with paint as nice as your car has. Showed no fear at all, and the car looked right at home on the road course or the autoX. Man I love old cars.

After looking at your avatar I knew you had to be a good guy.LOL

compos mentis
06-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Great write up. :twothumbs

Bow Tie 67
06-23-2011, 03:00 AM
Now I can put a face to the avatar. LOL

Jim Nilsen
06-23-2011, 03:34 AM
It was good meeting meeting and getting to talk without using my fingers. Your car is a real show stopper and really handles well. Until my last run at the autocross your times were kicking my butt.

Now I can put your face to the name!

tommycomfort
06-23-2011, 05:10 AM
That GTO is unbelievably nice! I enjoyed our quick trip home from the Friday night cruise and BBQ. Nothing like looking in the mirror and seeing some of the finest (driven) muscle cars out there. Of course the wagon didn't help our coolness factor, but still fun!
Tom

66SuperSport
06-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Bill

I love your car and the fact that you're not afraid to drive it is awesome. I checked your autocross times and you did really well. Always nice to finish the day on your quickest time too. Wish I could have done that myself.
We'll see you at the Heidts event in a few weeks if not before. Not sure if you'll be at GG Columbus?

wmhjr
06-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Ron, I get this perverse satisfaction every time somebody tells me I must be nuts for hammering on "that paint". The car is on the lift right now and I'm making some changes to prep for Heidts! Hopefully I'll be a little faster but even if not I know I'm going to have a blast again throwing the barge around.

Jim, I think you had some issues on Sunday that handicapped you a little - don't think you're going to be that vulnerable (steering, engine) permanently! Great putting a face to your posts also.

Tom, Thanks! My son/co-pilot had a ball during that drive back on Friday night! He was grinning the entire way. I disagree with the wagon - I friggin love seeing that car both on the road and on the track. That right there is the epitome of Pro-Touring to me. Of course, I was hoping that if the law noticed us, they'd pick on the wagon.......

:)

wmhjr
06-23-2011, 09:38 AM
Bill

I love your car and the fact that you're not afraid to drive it is awesome. I checked your autocross times and you did really well. Always nice to finish the day on your quickest time too. Wish I could have done that myself.
We'll see you at the Heidts event in a few weeks if not before. Not sure if you'll be at GG Columbus?

Chris, last year I spent too much time showing the car. It was cool for a while but I quickly realized that I'm not one of those ISCA "show car" guys. I am having SO much more fun this year with this stuff that there isn't any comparison.

Here's a comparison:

ISCA Show car conversation. "Your paint is pretty nice. Why are your tires worn? Why are your front rotors different from your rear rotors? Why do you have a license plate and inspection sticker on your car? Why didn't you get that 2 nanometer sized speck of dust out from behind your engine mount that I saw with my portable electronic scanning microscope? Did you notice that you have a 1/32 inch scratch in your right rear wheel well? Why have you not touched that up?"

Motor State conversation: "Dude, that was fun! Put that cone on your left door! Add POWER now! Brake, Brake BRAKE!, Try sticking to 2nd on the autox course. Did you see how far that cone flew in the air? Do you have any beer left? (Saturday night), Hey guys, Blazing Saddles is showing over there!, (Ron) Well, if they won't let me run the Autox with the cracked windshield I'll just kick it out and run without one".

Guess which one is more fun...

I was proud of the fact that I didn't even wipe the car down between Friday night and last night. It was nice ending the autox on my fastest time. I do have a confession to make. Due to technical issues, I had a wheel problem that prevented access to the valve stems unless I removed the wheels, so I was not able to check or change air pressure whatsoever all weekend for all practical purposes. I really "run what I brung" - including air in the tires. I'm in the process of fixing that for Heidts, with a different set of wheels to play with. I'm also planning to add some negative camber and start adjusting those varishocks. The hope is that now that I'm getting a little comfortable in the seat I can start tuning the car. Without a chassis and since it's a vert, there is only so much I can do but I'm hoping to be a bit faster next time out.

I can't make Columbus - between Motor State and Heidts I'm already in trouble. Get this - I'm starting a new job on July 11th. And taking vacation on July 15th. I am, however, planning to also make RTTH. Already have my hotel reservations. Oh, and thanks again for the quick advice at the autox. It's that kind of stuff that just blew me away at this event.

Vinz68
06-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Great meeting you and your son. Your car is awesome!!! Glad you had a great time!! Hope to see you at the next one

matt68
07-10-2011, 07:20 PM
I know it's been a couple of weeks, but I had a great time at the event. Everything was well organized and smoothly run, which I am sure was no easy task. My wife has followed me around with our kids to many autocrossing events, and she commented on how much better the atmosphere was and how friendly all the people were. Hopefully I am finally getting my girls brainwashed into enjoying racing : ) I have lost hope for my wife a long time ago:banghead:

It was great talking with everyone I did meet, and I can't wait to make it back next year. I was glad to see the other older vettes there that are interested in something other than NCRS restorations. Now I need to start working on the next set of upgrades:)

Is it wrong to borrow against your 401K to make your car faster?

Matt
68 Vette

wmhjr
07-11-2011, 04:17 AM
Is it wrong to borrow against your 401K to make your car faster?

Matt
68 Vette

Only if it doesn't work! Btw, my son - who has a 72 vette - loved watching your runs.

matt68
07-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Only if it doesn't work!
Or if the wife finds out :)

You'll have to have your son bring his vette out next year!