PDA

View Full Version : Clunking noise when turning

kman67rsss
06-21-2011, 06:33 AM
Hi guys, I've been chasing a clunking noise coming from my right front wheel when turning left. It only occurs on left turns, and the more throttle I give it the worse it gets. I've got a little bit of top to bottom play on that wheel that isn't there on the left side. I've already changed the upper ball joint as it was fast cheap and easy. Any suggestions on where to go from here. Thanks this is on my 67 RS/SS

MyFriendScott
06-21-2011, 06:42 AM
Check the A-arms for damaged or missing bushings?

First Bird
06-21-2011, 09:19 AM
I had a cross-threaded upper spindle bolt, that big 1" bolt, that allowed a little slop. Didn't find it till disassembly of entire front suspension.

kman67rsss
06-21-2011, 10:16 AM
It's been fine till the last 300 miles or so. I've got 4k without a problem. I did find the rear bolt on the upper a arm had backed out a but so I tightened it down. No change.

Patrick
06-21-2011, 06:06 PM
What control arms are you using? What about shocks? I have a similar problem that I can't track down.... I've replaced upper and lower balljoints (both sides) tie rods, idler arm, checked wheel bearings..... I have GW upper & lower with coil overs. Let us know if you find the cause.

Thanks - Patrick

kman67rsss
06-22-2011, 06:08 AM
I have stock upper and lowers with poly bushings.

parsonsj
06-22-2011, 06:50 AM
Have you checked wheel bearings? I've chased clunks to that before.

64impala
06-22-2011, 07:39 AM
Possibly jack up the right side and have some one turn the wheel while you try moving the wheel/tire assembly. Maybe you will be able to feel and or hear whats loose...? Is it making the "clunking" noise when you are parked and turn the wheel, or is it only when under a load? I would go through all the suspension, steering and wheel parts and double check everything for proper fit and any incorrect assembled parts. Hope this helps

67 ls1 vert
06-22-2011, 08:17 AM
I know this may be a long shot but make sure your wheel weights aren't hitting your steering arm. Just throwing out suggestions.

kman67rsss
06-22-2011, 08:59 AM
wheel bearings were defiantly on my list especially where there was play in the wheel that isnt there on the drivers side. What would i be looking for with the bearings other then obvious defects. Ill look at the wheel weights, as it sounds as if something is hitting in one spot as the wheel rotates around. Thanks

67rally
06-23-2011, 07:05 AM
Does it clunk just once when turning the wheel to the left or does it happen with every revolution of the wheel/tire on left turns?

mike@schwartzperformance
06-23-2011, 01:50 PM
We have seen upper spring cushions worn out and when you get metal on metal contact it creates a popping sound, however this would not happen every time you turn left.

Norwood
06-23-2011, 08:09 PM
Caliper and wheel contact?

kman67rsss
06-24-2011, 05:02 AM
I took apart the dust cap on the spindle and got the castle nut to turn 1 more spot. That took the play out of the wheel, but it's been raining here all week so I haven't been able to drive it to see if it helped. Will post results when u get some.

67rally
06-24-2011, 07:44 AM
Make sure you don't cinch that castle nut down too tight, you can ruin the bearings very easily that way. I think they only get torqued down to 12 ft-lbs. If you pull the bearings, you should be able to spin the rollers easily and feel no deformity. If not, they are only $5 or so to replace.

knucklebusted
06-25-2011, 07:38 AM
Two easy things to look at are stabilizer end links and shock mounts. If the stabilizer bar end link is loose or missing the bottom bushing, it will make a clunking noise when the slack is taken out. I just rebuilt my front end and discovered my 25 year old urethane bushings were crumbling apart and making my clunking noise.

Second, if the shock mounting rubber bushings are destroyed, they can allow the shock to do basically the same thing as the sway bar. Easy to check, easy to fix and easily overlooked. I did for a year chasing my problem with the sway bar links.

67rally
06-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Two easy things to look at are stabilizer end links and shock mounts. If the stabilizer bar end link is loose or missing the bottom bushing, it will make a clunking noise when the slack is taken out. I just rebuilt my front end and discovered my 25 year old urethane bushings were crumbling apart and making my clunking noise.

Second, if the shock mounting rubber bushings are destroyed, they can allow the shock to do basically the same thing as the sway bar. Easy to check, easy to fix and easily overlooked. I did for a year chasing my problem with the sway bar links.

This is why I was wondering if it was clunking just once or with every wheel revolution. I had a clunking sound in my front driver side and it was coming from the stabilizer bar end links. Someone had put the bolt in from the bottom, with the long end pointing up and when you turned the wheel, the bolt would rub on the castelated nut on the top front of the spindle:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/06/CIMG7202x-1.jpg

speED
06-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Had a similar experience, every time you made a right turn. I first checked wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rods and found nothing. Turned out that the spring was cracked at the very top where it sits in the frame. Almost did not see it, really need to look closely with a drop light. Take a look.

kman67rsss
07-12-2011, 05:09 PM
I finally got around to playing with it and it seems that the extra little on the castle nut has taken care of it. im going to keep a close eye on it though. thanks for all the suggestions.

kman67rsss
07-14-2011, 04:56 PM
I lied, clunking came back today. gonna keep digging.

Patrick
07-14-2011, 04:58 PM
Bummer.... I know you can hear it...but can you feel it - in the foot box area or steering wheel?

TheBandit
07-15-2011, 06:33 AM
You really need to jack the front end of the car up and inspect things carefully. Have someone slowly turn the steering wheel back and forth and see if there is any delayed reaction / dead spots in the motion of any of the component, especially at all the tie rod ends and ball joints.

At one time the two bolts holding the idler arm to the frame loosened up on my Nova and I had a similar clunking symptom that took a while for me to track down.

Are the two nuts holding the upper control arm to the frame tight?

Does the clunk happen only upon entry and exit of the turn or is it a clunk that repeats multiple times throughout a steady turn?

monteboy84
07-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Does it make a difference if you're on the brakes or not?

-matt

kman67rsss
07-16-2011, 06:33 AM
It occurs steadily through the turn. It gets worse as i get into the throttle. It doesn't do it with small turns in the road, mostly traffic circles and turning onto roads at an intersection. I should have some time this weekend to take a look. Patrick, i can fell it and everyone in the car can also. it gives the car a pretty good jolt. I dont think i have noticed a difference with the brakes applied or not. thanks

kman67rsss
02-05-2012, 08:30 AM
Ive finally dug back into this. Ive replaced the upper ball joint and it didnt help. Ive got some pictures that i think shows my problem but not what causes it or how to fix it. The 2 with the gaps in the ball joint and spindle are the drivers side which is wear my clunk comes from. The pics without the gap are drivers side. any help/suggestions thanks