PDA

View Full Version : 9 inch axle seal

Van B
06-19-2011, 05:38 PM
I am unfamiliar with the guts of a Ford 9 inch style rear end and have a question on axle seals. I developed a leak with gear lube dripping inside the left rear wheel. I took it apart to repair and am wondering if this looks like everyone else's.

The reason I ask is that when I have the Ridetech 4 link installed my fabricator built the rear end housing rather than buying one from one of the usual companies. It looks like the outer bearing depends on gear lube for lubrication. The rubber seal fits around the outside of the bearing race and fits in the little slot. There was a silicone type sealant used to seal up the rubber seal.

Is there some other type of seal I should have? It does not seem like it is enough to hold back the fluid.

chicane67
06-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Nope... that it... and it's looking like the begining of radial striations on the rollers.

Be sure to clean the holy hell out of the bearings (I'd use non-chlorinated brake cleaner)... and then also do the same for the housing ends. Then apply a small amount of silicone sealer to the outside of the seal surface and re-assemble.

The only problem with actually using an inner seal... is that those bearings are not set up to be run 'dry.' Well... that, and the bi-jombus bearing retainers that were used on the axles themselves. Those things have their own solar systems they are so big. Lol...

Gandalf
06-28-2011, 08:52 AM
"bi-jombus" - I'm stealing that LOL!!

Van B
06-28-2011, 07:38 PM
sealed it up the other day. I have yet to top off the fluid and drive it. The other side is leaking a little, but I thought I would make sure the side I had apart would hold before I effed up the other. This seems like a hokey setup. Hopefully I did it right. I just filled the groove behind the bearing race with permatex ultra black and slid it back together.