PDA

View Full Version : Hub centric rear axles

Skip Fix
06-15-2011, 06:29 PM
OK you GM guys using aftermarket axles Moser Superior etc-does the brake pilot stick out far enough to locate your wheels if you have discs? My Moser's don't and they can't make a custom one with a longer pilot. Strange says their Mustang pilots are longer and the same OD and could possibly cut teh correct spline count.

Since any free play in the lugnuts to wheel holes allows the wheel not to be centered I think a pilot to help locate helps.

Turn down the existing one's OD to accept a longer pilot bushing pressed on?

MonzaRacer
06-15-2011, 09:44 PM
It depends on if your wheels are lug -centric or hub-centric, but yes hub-centric is better. Strange, just how thick are your rotors? Heck most even stock truck disc arent over .250 thick for the most part and some are even thinner.

Skip Fix
06-16-2011, 05:47 AM
The Moser's I have barely stick out past the 79 TA rotors and with the bevel they have don't even touch a wheel-maybe 3/8" total pilot. Even the factory lugs are 0.700 and the lug holes 0.745. Use a aftermarket open 1/2 lug at .682 and the wheel can move all over the place on the axle.

Even a drum factory axle sticks out past the drum 0.400"!

Skip Fix
06-19-2011, 07:05 AM
So no one else has an issue with axle pilots being hubcentric?

ErikLS2
06-19-2011, 08:37 AM
I have Moser axles and the pilot barely sticks out past my C6 Z06 rotors. Enough though that I think I'll make or get a hub centering ring to center the wheel. Do you have anything sticking out?
What about opening up the hole in the rotor and making a centering ring that both the rotor and the wheel fit over? Now that I think about it I may do it that way.

Skip Fix
06-20-2011, 02:25 PM
So I am not the only one!

Eric that was something like I was thinking but the rotos hole is the same size as the wheel hole. So I'd need to turn down the axle pilot to slip one over it with the same OD as the original. Just not sure what wall thickness you'd need.

ErikLS2
06-20-2011, 03:21 PM
If you have a small lip like I do I would think you could get a centering ring to do what it's intended to do, center the wheel. It doesn't support any of the weight of the car.

Skip Fix
06-21-2011, 06:28 AM
But the wheel hole is the same size as the axle pilot so for something to slip over it it would be a bigger diameter.