PDA

View Full Version : Goodguys rules and such...

SRD art
06-15-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm new to the Pro-touring scene and want to get more involved. My car will be built to flog but I've heard that it's too new to participate at any Goodguys event. Is that so? And will that be changing in the near future? Is there a link to Goodguys rules?

Ron.in.SoCal
06-15-2011, 05:20 PM
There has been a recent clamoring for Good Guys to open up to later year/model cars, and really they've even bent the rules a little for some in the past. Good Guy Ed recently posted a number of Sunday dates for all years. Personally I think 2012 will see more of these depending on the success of these events...

Goodguy Ed
06-16-2011, 07:06 AM
Ben,
This was posted on Tuesday.

Goodguys Sunday Get-Togethers Late Models Welcome!!!
Well as I have said on here Goodguys was working on what we would be doing to allow newer than 1972 vehicles into our events. As some of you know we have been doing All Year American Made or Powered for over 29 years at our Pleassanton events and some of you have asked when Goodguys would bring this to the east coast.

Here is the press release that is going out today!!!

Goodguys Announce “Sunday Get-Together” Promotion for Three 2011 Events

Pleasanton, CA – The Goodguys Rod & Custom Association has announced an all new Sunday-only promotion for three events this summer and fall. The “Sunday Get-Together” promotion welcomes American made or American powered cars and trucks of all years, makes and models to the events on Sunday only. The three events scheduled to host the new Goodguys “Sunday Get-Together” include the Goodguys 5th PEAK Chicagoland Nationals, August 12-14 at Chicagoland Speedway, the Goodguys 10th Midwestern Nationals, September 2-4 at Kansas Speedway and the Goodguys 18th Southeastern Nationals, October 28-30 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Any late model show car can participate in these three events on Sunday-only so long as it’s American made or American powered. “We’re really excited to be swinging open the event gates to the late model American made and American powered cars in Chicago, Kansas City and Charlotte,” said Goodguys VP of Event Operations Harry Daviess. “We have done Get-Together style events for over 25 years in our hometown of Pleasanton, California and it’s an outstanding format for car guys. The ‘Big Three’ build some awesome new muscle cars and hot rods. It will be something to see a ’69 Camaro parked next to a 2010 Camaro. Same with the Dodge Challengers, Ford Mustangs, GTO’s and others,” Daviess said. He also pointed out how well the classic car and old school hot rod & custom guys get along with late model owners. “All Goodguys are car guys at heart. This will further broaden the scope of the events allowing as many as six or seven generations of car people to participate in a Goodguys event.”

Goodguys will be making it easy for the newly welcomed participants to register. There will be a simple one day fee at registration for the later model cars. Goodguys will pick up to 20 Sunday Get-Together awards well as keep the AutoCross road course open on Sunday at these three events.

The Sunday event will start at 8:00am and close at 4:00pm with a track cruise at 1:00pm and the awards at 3:00pm.

Only rods, customs, classics, trucks and muscle cars through 1972 vintage are eligible to participate in the Chicagoland Nationals, Midwestern Nationals and Southeastern Nationals during the start of the weekend on Friday and Saturday. For more visit www.good-guys.com or call Goodguys at (925) 838-9876.

So there you have it, Goodguys all years Sunday Get-Togethers at three events near you.

Let us know what you think of this and what year vehicle you will be bringing.

So you can see from this that we now have three events on the West Coast, Two in the MidWest and one on the East coast that are open to all years of cars.

Come have fun and enjoy the event.

Thanks Goodguy Ed

dontlifttoshift
06-16-2011, 09:49 AM
:jawdrop: BRB going to see the hamb.....

dontlifttoshift
06-16-2011, 09:56 AM
I have commemted on this before in other threads here and elsewhere. It's not something that I wanted but it is what it is. We are ALL car guys and ALL on the same side but I would be lying if I said I wasn't saddened just a little by this announcement.......

Donny

Goodguy Ed
06-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Here is the largest part of this,

This promotion is a combined effort to get younger generations involved in our hobby as well as to increase Sunday participation. “We are trying hard to involve younger people in our events. Our hope is that by them coming to the event in a later model car or truck they will be exposed to our rod & custom industry and see what we have to offer.”

This also opens the door for manufactures of late model parts to come to the events for all three days. The hard core Hot Rodder will still have his event and will be able to show the younger crowd what Hot Rodding is all about.

Remeber it is SUNDAY only for the late model cars and trucks.

Goodguy Ed

AutoX_a_Truck?
06-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Will the '73 and up cars and trucks be eligible to win autox prizes on Sunday? Will they have their own classes?

dontlifttoshift
06-16-2011, 12:08 PM
This promotion is a combined effort to get younger generations involved in our hobby as well as to increase Sunday participation. “We are trying hard to involve younger people in our events. Our hope is that by them coming to the event in a later model car or truck they will be exposed to our rod & custom industry and see what we have to offer.”

Goodguy Ed

Very awesome, that's what its about. Young guys and gals in G-bodies, fox mustangs, etc all good.....very good. Old dudes in new musclecars with a diecast model of "their" car on display on the factory engine cover.....not cool and thats the part that makes me sad.

Again to clarify. Young people with older cars - good. Old people with young cars - bad.:)

Goodguy Ed
06-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Will the '73 and up cars and trucks be eligible to win autox prizes on Sunday? Will they have their own classes?

The 73 and newer cars and trucks will be in there own single class and the winner will go through the awards. We will also give the winner a free one year subscription to the Gazette. There will not be any AutoCross prizes like the tires and gift certificates as that was all done at the begining of the year. We will work on this for 2012 and see what we can do.

Goodguy Ed

coolwelder62
06-16-2011, 06:27 PM
Right-on,I hope it works out great for you.now I can build my LSX powered E36- BMW-M3.and go Auto-crossen.

eldogg
06-17-2011, 04:16 PM
So I can autocross my G body on sunday only or all weekend?

dontlifttoshift
06-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Late models are in the show sunday only and can autocross sunday only.....I assume you are talking about Charlotte, if so I will be there short of a tragedy.

Oddly enough I am planning on attending all of the show that will have "late model Sunday" and despite what anyone may have inferred from previous posts I am looking forward to it.

Donny

Goodguy Ed
06-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Sunday Only for the newer than 1972 cars and trucks.

Donny,
Good to see your going to the three events, should be a good AutoCross with the newer cars running on Sunday.

Goodguy Ed

SRD art
07-02-2011, 01:28 PM
That's good news that things are broadening. I understand that Goodguys was built around old school cars but it's nice to see everyone play together. Sorry to be hypocritical to some, but I'd like to see it closed to "late model" cars all together, they're just not old cars.

Maybe a good general rule to consider in the future is the car has to be a set certain amount of years old rather than questioning where to draw the line between old, mildly old, and late model cars. Here in Utah a car that is 30 years old qualifies for "antique car" registration, so that would put the cut off at '81 this year. If Goodguys were like this it would enable folks like me with my '79 to not question if I will ever be able to participate but rather I will know and look forward to when I do qualify to play. If an old guy with a 98 Trans Am wants to play, well he can, in 2028.

Really, as more and more pre 73 cars are becoming limited and more out of reach of the average buyer, (or high school kid that wants to build his first hot rod like we all started out), 73-84ish cars are becoming more and more popular as budget hot rods. I also currently own a 73 and 74 Nova and I've owned 3 different 73+ Novas for the last 23 years, very car Hot Rod magazine looked down on and called the "ugly Nova" 10 or 12 years ago. Now look at the price of a 73 or 74 Nova, and how many are showing up at the track. Most of the pre 73's are bought up so there isn't much choice but move to the newer cars. G-bodies and early fox bodies are another perfect example. What was once ugly is now cool and a respected "old" car to build. I look forward to the day if/when things change and those cars will be seen as old across the board too.

ok, nuff of my blabbin'. :)

Goodguy Ed
07-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Ben,
We will stick with what works for Goodguys on the West Coast as we have been doing all year events for over 25 years in Pleasanton. This will be looked at after these three test events in the mid west and east coast to decide on 2012. Some events like Des Moines and Columbus would not have the room to do this so we will need to look at each event as to if we can move the year breaks up.

We look forward to seeing some of the newer than 1972 vehicles at Chicago, Kansas and Charlotte.

I talked with Kyle Tucker at Detroit Speed and he said he was bringing their 2010 Camaro to Charlotte on Sunday to run the AutoCross! Look forward to seeing that.....

Let us know what you think and if you are going to one of these events with a 1973 or newer send us the pictures of the car.

Goodguy Ed

SRD art
07-05-2011, 06:09 AM
Thanks Ed. I think changing anything this year would be a hassle. All my thoughts are just food for thought for the future.

Right now my car is in the building stage- see the build thread link in my sig. It should be done next April and after I graduate and get settled in with work I want to start attending some bigger events as the wallet allows. I'm in Utah right now but have been talking about moving my family to the mid west where there's a little more opportunity for someone like me. I definitely look forward to participating in years to come, particularly in the autocross arena. Woohoo!

N2TRUX
07-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Ironically I just posted a question concerning the cut off date on another PT site. I really love anything that can be considered a "Hot Rod" regardless of the make model or age. With that said, I feel the long time supporters of these events would find a rolling 25 or 30 year old cut off date much more acceptable than just swinging the gates open to all years.

Unfortunately the logistics of beiing located in South Texas won't allow me to enter any of these shows for one day.

RobNoLimit
02-12-2012, 01:07 PM
any info on the new rules and class breaks?

dontlifttoshift
02-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Whatchoootawkinboutwillis?

Do we really need more classes.....or rules?

RobNoLimit
02-12-2012, 11:06 PM
guys like you and me gonna get hosed for goin fast

Rod
02-12-2012, 11:17 PM
whoa! whoa! whoa! whaaat? is going on now, did i see this right, we race our butts off Friday and Saturdays and now the last chance Sunday runs are going to clustered with new cars and we have to wait longer to close out the race weekend??

dontlifttoshift
02-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Rod,

No, they stop officaial timing on Saturday just like always. Sunday is fun runs for us pre 72 guys and official for the late models.

Rob,

If they are going to do what I heard earlier in the year, I have some choice words about that but I will wait for something official before deciding to get my undies in a bunch.

Poorhousenext
02-13-2012, 06:58 AM
I'm new to the Pro-touring scene and want to get more involved. My car will be built to flog but I've heard that it's too new to participate at any Goodguys event. Is that so? And will that be changing in the near future? Is there a link to Goodguys rules?

Goodyguys has added Super Sunday Events to some of its show for where any late model American made or American powered show car can participate.

Here is link to all the Goodyguys events. It's easy to tell which one also include Super Sunday events by the "SS" desination at end of event title, right after the Orange Cone for late model American car.

http://www.good-guys.com/PDF/schedule/2012_schedule.pdf

Might want to check out news about how Super Sunday will handle program and awards...:)

http://www.good-guys.com/news/newsStory.aspx?newsid=1957

Jere

mpozzi
02-13-2012, 09:15 AM
I sent Ed an email with my thoughts on the model year break and the newly created Professional class that replaces Vendor and where everyone that wins will be put into. For me and my 1973 MY (model year) car, it's a difficult pill to swallow as I defy anyone to tell the MY difference between a 1970 and a 1973 Camaro RS without looking at the trim tag ... it's the same body style and in essence, the same car. The Ford Mustang and Dodge Challenger/Cuda also fit into this bracket.

I know the Good Guys staff have been getting some complaint emails for allowing my car to run Street Machine class and I understand their position on this.

I'd still like to figure out why 1972 was chosen as the cutoff year, however ...

Mary Pozzi

dontlifttoshift
02-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Mary, since you are a moderator, could you possibly split this off into it's own thread starting with Rob's post?

the newly created Professional class that replaces Vendor and where everyone that wins will be put into.

Mary Pozzi

So if I win an event in my class, which happens sometimes, I am moved to a "professional" class for the next event where I would run head to head against the vendor class? Is that correct?

I just typed a bunch of stuff and deleted it. I will wait for official word on the new classing structure before I say anything stupid.

mpozzi
02-13-2012, 12:15 PM
H
Mary, since you are a moderator, could you possibly split this off into it's own thread starting with Rob's post?

So if I win an event in my class, which happens sometimes, I am moved to a "professional" class for the next event where I would run head to head against the vendor class? Is that correct?

I just typed a bunch of stuff and deleted it. I will wait for official word on the new classing structure before I say anything stupid.

Your question about what will make up Professional class is best answered by Good Guys staff but my understanding is that Vendor will be no more and Pro class will take its place. The Pro's will start the run sequence after each break in the event and then the Street Machine/Truck/Street Rod classes will start where they left off before the break. It's sort of like they do now with Vendor ...

When there's a problem, I've often thought about solutions rather than have a bitch-fest. My email to Ed centered around that niggly cutoff year but also made mention of the prizes offered. As I understand it, the Vendors don't receive the same prizes that are given to the non-Vendor classes and as there are people (Rob, Brian, me ...) that have won a lot, maybe this Pro category isn't a half-bad idea. Keep the prizes for the people that haven't won anything but support these events by participating. If someone wins that's a clear no-hoper in Pro, Good Guys can elect to keep them in their respective class if they wish. They have a lot of flexibility here as not everybody will have the driving skills nor car/truck level of preparation to kick some pylon butt in Professional class.

And while the trucks are getting close, it's doubtful that a well-driven and/or well-prepped and modded truck will turn the same or better times as that same prepped, modded, and well-driven passenger car at these events. I hope I'm wrong about this and could be given what I saw at the Del Mar event last November. Those truck guys were rockin' the house big time.

This thread will probably separate on its own shortly before the first GG Autocross ...

Mary Pozzi

66SuperSport
02-13-2012, 12:59 PM
With less than 4 weeks to the first event I would hope that GoodGuys would have the new autocross rules posted soon.

It will be a while before the first event I could make it to, but I sure would like to know how the events are going to be run before I start scheduling all of my vacation time.

RobNoLimit
02-13-2012, 01:28 PM
I really didn't mean to stir the pot here, I was just searching for information as we are planning what shows to attend. I have made my suggestions to GoodGuys staff, and they will do what they think is best. These events have been the best thing to happen to a car show since cars, - and beer. And for us at No Limit it has been a winning marketing tool, and my hope is that it will continue to be so in the future.

AutoX_a_Truck?
02-13-2012, 01:39 PM
A Professional Class is great for someone who has a bunch of seat time or experience, but I hope that being a Street Machine/Street Rod/Truck Class winner does not automatically put a competitor into the Professional Class. I have won in the Truck Class five times, but I am no professional. I am just a guy with a $3,000 truck that has only run in three autocross events outside of Goodguys events. Like some of the other people who have chimed in, I hope that any new rules will be posted soon so I can decide whether or not I will try and make it to some of the shows that are further away.

mpozzi
02-13-2012, 01:53 PM
I really didn't mean to stir the pot here, I was just searching for information as we are planning what shows to attend. I have made my suggestions to GoodGuys staff, and they will do what they think is best. These events have been the best thing to happen to a car show since cars, - and beer. And for us at No Limit it has been a winning marketing tool, and my hope is that it will continue to be so in the future.

Sort of the same here except I have no dog in the business fight. Hoping to attend several Good Guys events in the Midwest and east coast during the summer months and need to know if my Camaro will be welcomed for the main pylon show or not ...

I've presented my thoughts via Good Guys website email and they'll decide what is best for all involved.

Mary P.

dontlifttoshift
02-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Rob, I am glad you brought it up. I didn't know that any of this was still on the table based on what I had heard last year.

I am not going to change plans based on what class I am in. I went to, and enjoyed, many goodguys shows long before there was an autocross. I will absolutely continue to do so. I also spent a couple of years getting my butt kicked in street rod class, so if I end up in "pro" class so be it. What bothers me is giving up the shot at that 1st place plaque and my car in the winners section of the autocross coverage. That is worth WAY more to me than fabulous prizes.

I am very proud of the fact that I usually obliterate my class. I understand that is equivalent to being the tallest midget but I take pride in it none the less.

If it is about spreading the wealth, give first place their plaque, the glory, and first pick at ONE of the fabulous prizes. Second place can pick a few and third can have what's left. That makes way more sense to me than penalizing the winner by putting him in another class for the next event, where it is highly unlikely they can win. All because a few whined that they can't compete? When I got sick of losing I did something about it. I modified the car and I made some attempts at learning to drive, I got seat time whenever I could. Losing was my problem, not a function of the rules.

Still awaiting the new official rules.

mpozzi
02-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Very well stated!! YOU took up the fight and worked on your ride AND improving your driving skills which, to me, is what it's about. Like you, I don't compete for the prizes but for that acknowledgement of a job well done, for the opportunity to compete all two or three days, to spend time seeing all the show cars and visiting with the vendors and friends, giving rides in the Camaro (that passenger seat is almost never empty), and meeting people I "talk" to on the various websites.

To the complainers ... someone that shall remain nameless said it best. "Tell 'em to put on their big girl britches and learn how to DRIVE."

Mary P.

dontlifttoshift
02-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Thanks Mary. It means a lot to me that you see it that way as well.

RobNoLimit
02-13-2012, 05:07 PM
I'm glad i'm not alone on this. Thanks. Logicaly, I try to see things from all angles. Then I ask questions, one of my favorites is "...and then what", and ask it three or four times down the line. Such as, If this is the spirit of the rules, to spread the wealth for those not as competetive, if you win "Street Machine of the Year", are you barred from winning again? Lets be reasonable, I doubt most people can win that one, but if you barred the winners long enough, then in 2017, Joe Dirt could win with a spray painted 6 cyl rambler. (no offense to the AMC crew). I know the GoodGuys staff has listened to the complainers, but I don't know if they have listened to the small group that has worked hard to win.

66SuperSport
02-15-2012, 06:55 AM
Rob, I am glad you brought it up. I didn't know that any of this was still on the table based on what I had heard last year.

When I got sick of losing I did something about it. I modified the car and I made some attempts at learning to drive, I got seat time whenever I could. Losing was my problem, not a function of the rules.

Well said Donny!

I have sometimes wondered if anyone would be upset that some of us have won the Street Challenge Autocross events more than once. Then I thought back to how hard all of the previous winners have worked to make that happen and that thought quickly went away. Winning at anything is something that is earned with hard work, skill, and determination.
The GoodGuys staff has done an incredible job with these shows over the years and I think there are several ways to deal with this other than throw all of the vendors, sponsors, previous, and future winners into a new pro class. If they want to spread the wealth a little make the "prizes" for winning a little less and have a GoodGuys pick in each of the classes to help give everyone a chance at something. This would still allow all of the participants to be classed properly, have proper class winners, and give everyone that competes a chance to bring home some shwag.

Just sayin'.

Bad94
02-16-2012, 02:42 PM
I really dont care if Donny wins every event in the street rod class, no other street rod owner has the b*lls to drive his car like donny.

And for street machine class, i know i will never be the fastest car, i go to have fun and hang out with friends.

GG autox really push the sponsors,i know they pay the bill. But with out us buying parts they couldnt pay the bill. I think that sunday there should be no sponsors running, let the sponsors help the customers learn the car and track.

Goodguy Ed
02-17-2012, 02:38 PM
whoa! whoa! whoa! whaaat? is going on now, did i see this right, we race our butts off Friday and Saturdays and now the last chance Sunday runs are going to clustered with new cars and we have to wait longer to close out the race weekend??

The Sunday cars are in their own class so they are not running against the other classes. The Street Rod, Street machine, Truck and the Pro-Class competition ends on Saturday.

coolwelder62
02-20-2012, 09:21 AM
WHAT A MESS,It wouldn't bother me a bit to see new stuff at a GG event.But I am a reasonable person.Change is good.Because what really works always come's back around.W/the American street car thing gaining ground it wont be long before all of us that love the Autoxing will headed there instead of the GG stuff.GG should try a few events letting everything in.And if the old cars drop off then change it back.But I think they will see an increase in revenue.

bret
02-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Anytime there are changes, there will be confusion and unhappyness...at least for a while.
Personally and professionally, I am glad to see Goodguys going to a Pro class from the Vendors class. The vendors class was valid right up to when our customers started outrunning us!:) At this point there have been several events where the fastest vendor was not the fastest time of the weekend. Hence the Pro class.
I also like them running the Pro class at the top of the hour. We have a huge amount of people who want a ride in the autocross to evaluate suspension products...and to decide if they want to participate. If we can give them a schedule of when to be here for their ride they can enjoy the rest of the show in the meantime. Otherwise they wander off and don't come back for a ride.
Why is this important? Because it encourages even more participation from people who might not otherwise be brave enough to come and play! The more people who come out to play, the more resources Goodguys can put toward the event, and the better it could get for everyone. Look how far it has come in 6 short years!

HUSTLESTUFF
02-24-2012, 05:14 AM
Here's my two cents...I became hooked after the inaugural Mopars at the Strip Hotchkis/Keisler autocross when Mary spent a good bit of time with my 16 yo niece in the Cuda I built for her. It was by no means Pro-touring, just a nice musclecar. My niece had a great time and even let her brother drive the car. That experience changed the direction of my build. I bought the Hotchkis parts for my Charger and even bought subframe connectors from them for the Cuda. While the Charger was still in progress, I found a local autocross club and after talking with Keith at Custom Works (local to me), I bought some wheels and tires and ran my 70 Formula and had a blast. I did take it to GG in Pleasanton and met a bunch of nice people there.

To me the GG autocross is an exhibition at a car show. I feel that the best thing that the sponsors could do to sell parts is to put a passenger in my car and let me know what products will make my car handle better and what it is doing now. I really learned alot when Mary rode with me both at MATS and GG as far as driving and took those to the local autoX(really have to look where I'm going). I agree that the rides are fun, but it is usually the wrong people in the car for the sponsor, ie someone who got in line vs someone serious about buying parts. This last year at Mopars at the Strip, I gave about 60-70 rides in my Charger and maybe 1-2 really asked about what made the difference. For most of the riders in the E-Max with Mary, it was like getting to ride in a Super Stock Hemi down the 1/4 mile.

Here's my suggestions..
Tire rules, you can't change back and forth on an arbitrary number. Tires are too expensive to be wishy-washy. There can't be that much in 20 points of a TW. Since 180 was allowed last year phase them out over a few years or just use 180.

Prizes, everyone that enters has a chance to win, just do a raffle. Give the winners a small trophy. I like the points system to compete nationally, but limit it to 4 events to count towards championship. We do that in the Slant Six drag series.

Year of Manufacture, That's a hard one. Someone's feeling will be hurt no matter when you cut it off. I do think 74 would be a better year for the Camaros and Cuda's but what about the 78 Trans Am? There were quite a few new Camaros and Mustangs on Saturday at the November Pleasanton show.

Classes, see the prize above. This would eliminate some of the guilt and let the competition rule. I would add a pony car class or weight class 3400 above and below(no scales just manufacturere wts). I would think that you could have a pro class to enter if you wanted. What better than to beat one of your hero's and for the great drivers it would give them more of the competition they like as well as the pride of being the best of the best.

Mike

Larry Callahan
02-28-2012, 08:17 PM
New rules have been posted. I am closing this thread for now. If you have other questions please start a new thread.