PDA

View Full Version : '68 Camaro - TCI Rear Torque Arm with non-TCI Mini-tubs

srengr
06-12-2011, 07:15 AM
I bought a full TCI front IFS and rear torque arm suspension setup for my '68 Camaro build. I installed standard min-tubs while doing the shell fabrication.

I work with a local fabricator who just finished installing the TCI rear torque arm setup on a '69 that has standard-width mini-tubs. I was picking his brain on the install and he told me that as it turns out, the TCI torque arm package only works as a bolt-on with TCI's tubs, which are 3/4-1" narrower than a standard mini-tub (pretty much eliminates 335s). He said he had to do extensive fab work on the TCI package to fit it with standard-width tubs.

Has anyone else run into this issue and have any tips/tricks on what modifications need to be made to the TCI package to make it work with standard-width tubs?

robertjra
06-12-2011, 08:16 PM
dang that sucks now know to go with speed tech hope this works out for you

alexmcconnell
06-14-2011, 01:05 PM
hey chris
going through the same thing with my 69 camaro i put in the regular mini tubs so i found out some fabricating and welding is par for the course.
however i really liked the quality of the tci parts i wish i could say the same for the tech support i think evan at tci is really busy with phone calls as well as wearing many hats at tci .[just my opininion ] well first i had to cut the bottoms of the outer tubs or wheel wells to accomodate the2/4 link bracket after they were bolted in i drilled the holes through the floor and found out about two of the 15 or so holes lined up waiting to here from tci if they sent me the wrong reinforcing plates [back to how busy evan is]. forget about bolting the upper shock crossmember in clamp it in place drill the holes through the trunk floor mark the reinforcing plates mine were not drilled ,bolt them up this should bring it up tight to the frame and weld away my battery is going low i could send pics if you want let me know alex

TCI Engineering
06-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Hi Alex,
I talked to Evan this morning so you will be hearing from him today. They have to be the wrong plates since all the holes should line up.

thanks, Sal

TCI Engineering
06-15-2011, 01:02 PM
Hi Chris,
Sorry about the confusion. All of our ads say we run a 315 tire on our shop car. When you run a 335 on a '68 with the
dse or dynacorn tub there is not a lot of clearance and they rub. The '69 wheel house area is wider and works better. I am looking at the brackets now and it won't be a big deal to can change them to fit the tubs for 335 for the torque arm application. I have many customers making them work since they are already doing lots of fabrication work. I can only do this change to the Torque Arm system. I would have to run a heim joint to make this work on the four link kit but I am not a big fan for street use. The tubs on our car came from classic Industries. They are stock wheel house tubs, we just extended the stock one to make room for the 315. Anybody can purchase them TCI does not make tubs since they are already are plenty on the market.

Thanks,Sal

srengr
06-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not hung up on 335 versus 315, whatever fits best is best as far as I am concerned and I know a '68 means more wheel fitment issues. I will also say that the quality of the TCI parts is great. I also have the TCI sub-frame to complete the package.

The main issue is that the main mount fits the linkage outside the frame rails, and with a full tub the mount interferes about an inch into the tub space. I think the fix will involve cutting up the mount and eliminating the space between the u-shaped saddle that is supposed to bolt through the frame rail and the bracket where the linkage is installed (which about makes up the inch). To make it work, we will probably weld the bracket directly to the outside of the frame rail (since there will be no advantage to bolting through the rail). I trust welds more than bolts anyway.

The main gripe is I ordered a rear end with the package with the mounts already welded in place (figured to save some fab work). We are going to end up cutting off the mounts and relocating them towards center to match the inch difference in the bracket. I hate re-work, not to mention I will need to replace the shock mounts since they will probably be junk after cutting them off the axle.

Question for Sal, do we need to move the upper shock mount inward on the upper bar to maintain the shock geometry, or is it ok to still use the inner hole mounting position? Any other recommendations/thoughts?

Sales-TCI-Eng
06-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Hi Chris,
I can provide you with new brackets no problem it should be less than an inch. PM Jason and we will get you a set. It will not be a problem if you use the existing holes in the shock crossmember. With the adjustment it will raise the car a little but it wont hurt anything. I am aware of the brackets install situation but our camaro is in Toyo tires semi. We only build our own car here for testing purposes. I have a car locally that i am going to look at but it will be a slow process since I am recovering from a broken leg and a blood clot. email me and i will get you some better feedback from some builders that have done this fab work my address is [email protected]

Thanks, Sal

MrQuick
06-16-2011, 08:03 PM
now thats how customer service should be....broken leg and all. Take care of yourself Sal!! Vince @ Dreamspeed

srengr
06-18-2011, 05:24 AM
Sal,

Thanks for the prompt feedback and advice. I hope you are well on your way to getting back on your feet. You are correct, the interference into the tub well is actually less than 1/2", and should not pose any problems with tires.

The fabricator I am working with shortened the brackets and removed a portion of the plate and flange that mounts to the floor between the outside of the frame rail and the tub (the curved section). With this change, he was able to install the brackets without changing the width or linkage mounting position. This means that no changes are needed to the axle mounted brackets that are already welded up (no re-work or new brackets needed). As I stated previously, we are going to weld in the mounting brackets (probably today).

It's great working with experienced professionals.

I'll post some pics of the process and outcome in the next few days.

Sales-TCI-Eng
06-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks, Vince and Chris. I should back on two feet next month longest 3 months of my life. Thanks for the heads up on your car Chris I would appreciate the feedback and the fab pics would help other doing the same thing. Let know if you need help or tips before or after you get it done. Thanks for your business.

Sal

srengr
06-26-2011, 09:57 AM
The suspension installation is complete. I posted an update on my build thread, that includes a bunch of pics of the process.

Here is the thread link: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?78537-Project-Mad-Max-1968-Camaro-Build&p=812582&highlight=#post812582

I think the suspension turned out great. I am really pleased with the TCI system. Thanks again for the feedback and support.