PDA

View Full Version : Fuel slosh

Global Warmer
06-11-2011, 04:15 AM
I have a stock tank in 79 camaro with competition engeneering's fuel tank sump welded on the

bottom to convert the tank to a fuel cell. My problem is fuel slosh when I slam the brakes my very

expensive aermotive fuel pump is starved for fuel I don't want to burn it up. I looked up avation

fuel foam it's inexpensive but how do you install it in the tank with the factory sending unit

chicane67
06-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Well... you don't just weld on a 'sump' to make the conversion to a 'cell'. All that has accomplished is physically moving the fuel pick up point.

A 'cell' typically consists of a bladder, either pliable or semrigid, contained in a can (for a lack of better terms.)

But to answer your question... the only way to make a 'stock' tank do what you are trying to accomplish... is to cut it apart, make the modifications and weld it back together. But doesn't work out to well for the foam that you just installed. Not to mention, that it will be quite a challenge to cut the foam around the fuel sender (without taking the tank apart) as not to hinder its operation.

I think your best solution... would be to do something like the Vaporworx (https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?72309-Track-Ready-Street-Friendly-Fuel-Tanks-From-Rick-s-and-Vaporworx.) tank.

Other than that... the time and cost involved to do anything to a 'stock' tank... will become cost prohibitive in very short order.

Global Warmer
06-11-2011, 06:11 PM
I appreciate your response all well as I hate it I figured it wasnt worth my time to correct this woodchuck part as it would be easier to fix it with a fuel cell thanks I found

a company RCI that makes a 22 gallon cell with foam and straps for under 400

NJSPEEDER
06-11-2011, 06:41 PM
For that price I assume it is one of the plastic cells? With a plastic cell just remember to be mindful of putting some felt or something on the hold down straps to prevent abrasion damage and also make sure you support the bottom fully even if the instructions don't recommend it, they do tend to distort and flex themselves around just a touch depending on temperature and how full it is so you want it sitting on as formed a base as possible to prevent it wandering off.

-Tim