PDA

View Full Version : How to install DSE Offset Shackles

jprewitt
06-07-2011, 04:20 PM
I have a 68 Camaro and the previous owner must have used it for racing, because it had already been mini tubbed and the rear frame rails had even been narrowed to allow for more space. The fuel tank had also been replaced with a fuel cell that is mounted in the trunk.

However, it still had the factory shackles, so I recently purchased a set of DSE offset shackles in the hopes of fitting a set of 315's in the rear.

My problem is I can't figure out how to get the top bolts that go through the frame and the shackle in. The bolts seem to hit the fender if I try to put it in from one side and the trunk pan from the other. What gives? Am I missing something or do I need to drill a hole in the trunk?

MrQuick
06-07-2011, 04:38 PM
If I remember its a angular problem to get past. Maybe put the bolt through one side of the shackle raise it up loose, as in no spring attatched, then pass it through from the outside. hope that helps.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/06/hrdp_0705_11_z1973_chevrolet_camaro_susp-1.jpg

lrvega
06-07-2011, 05:52 PM
What MrQuick said thats how i had to do the ones on my car.

Louie.

jprewitt
06-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Good to know that it is at least possible. I was just about to get out the drill.

Thanks!

jprewitt
06-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Did you have to cut the spring perches off of the axle and reweld them to move them or can you just loosen the shackle bolts and pry the springs over?

MrQuick
06-08-2011, 05:58 PM
you just loosen the the perch ubolts and front eye bracket, wiggle everything over then put up your rear shackle together.

lrvega
06-08-2011, 07:33 PM
I bought the DSE spring perches and moved them in so the springs wouldn't bind. I had to do this because I'm running 335-35-18 on my car it.s a 68 firebird. Another plus with the DSE perches is they lower the car almost an additional inch.

Louie.

jprewitt
06-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks guys. I'll try the loosen and wiggle approach first, but if that doesn't give me what I need I'll go with the DSE perches.

I also figured out the trick for getting that top bolt for the shackles installed. You just have to pull out the bushing and slide it up the bolt first. You can then easily put top bolt in and once everything is lined up you can just slide the bushing in place.

MrQuick
06-08-2011, 07:51 PM
tell you the truth i think you do have to cut and re align...we always narrow our rears so thats all cut off anyways.
sorry.

Olav
06-18-2011, 10:46 PM
Hi!

Might be a stupid question....Why are you using these shackles, will it give more tire room without moving the front spring mounting point ? As i see it will will cause bind without relocating front points ? Or ??