PDA

View Full Version : CBB (454) in a camaro 1967

BlueBull
06-02-2011, 03:52 AM
As an alternative to my CSB 406 I want to try to drive CBB for some seasons (maybe forever?). The engine will have aluminum heads, intake and waterpump why I think the weight still will be acceptabel for good road handling.

How painful is the swap with respect to motor mounts, headders, transmission (having a reinforced TH350), clearance to the power assist brake servo and wiper motor and so on..

The engine is a gen VI and I understand I need a special oil pan to clear cross member.

Other things to be aware of??

Randy67
06-02-2011, 05:42 AM
Motor mounts are no problem, just get the reproduction ones for a big-block. Plenty of header choices for a 67 with big-block as well. The TH350 should do fine, you could always upgrade it later on.

TT302Z28
06-02-2011, 07:30 AM
I retro'd a 496 / T56 into mine just using readily available parts. Heater box will have to be changed to BBC style and engine mounts too. If you are going to run headers and PS be sure they are meant for PS. My Hooker Super Comps (even though they stated they would fit) had to be modified to fit by dimpling a tube.

If you think regular valve adjustments are going to take place I recommend the DSE wiper motor kit. Great clearance for large or tall valve covers on the drivers side.

I also went to the dual chamber, smaller diameter brake booster to add clearance as well. I am running a MkIV and tall valve covers. The clearance was a little too tight.

BlueBull
06-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the input.
I'm about to purchase the parts I need for the enginge build and came to the intake. I'm confused by the fact I want to use an Edelbrock RPM airgap but they state it dosent clear the hood on my car. The intake height is 4.45", however the Performer is 4.3" height and there is no remark on this. Is it really a 0.15" issue or can I expect in some way to manage the RPM type??

I dont have a cowl hood so I realize the space is limited.

TT302Z28
06-02-2011, 02:59 PM
That was the other problem....make damn sure like calling Edelbrock so if it doesn't fit they can take it back. I make this mistake by buying the Performer RPM and it didn't fit under the flat hood.

I was so mad that I went and bought the aluminum hood! Just kidding but it was a great excuse. Matt's gave me a really good deal.

BlueBull
06-03-2011, 01:03 AM
I'm looking for any aluminum intake with a low profile instead. Anyhow, I want something that will support the cubes and not just being a solution of space available.
Tim, in what direction did you go with this? Can you show any pics of the engine bay?
Thanks

AintQik
06-03-2011, 10:00 AM
I have a 454 with an Air Gap in my 67 and it fits. I'm using OEM big block mounts. I've found many of these cars to be wildly different, but it does work on mine.

TT302Z28
06-04-2011, 06:17 AM
Ahhh! Ok first issue with using my iPad over a pc, I can't figure out how to post pics with this thing. I'll get to a pc this week end.

AintQik, is this under a flat hood? What carb and air cleaner base are you using?